Old 13-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Stewart Devereux

Default Mountfield v Honda lawnmowers

Off to my local B+Q to buy a petrol lawnmover. Want one that will add
strips. Two options a Honda for £299 or the Mountfield for £349. This has a
roller, the Honda a "stripping rubber strip". The Honda has a smaller
cutting width. Which one would people recommend ?
--
Regards,
Stu Devereux.

Old 13-07-2004, 12:03 PM
atwifa

Off to my local B+Q to buy a petrol lawnmover. Want one that will add
strips. Two options a Honda for £299 or the Mountfield for £349. This has
roller, the Honda a "stripping rubber strip". The Honda has a smaller
cutting width. Which one would people recommend ?

i could not recommend a mountfield, as i have yet to come across one with a
metal deck. the honda (i presume) would have a metal deck; if not, then
avoid. the plastic decks as used by mountfield seem to have the habit of
distorting, splitting etc.

my advice would be: buy a hayter ;-)

i've been up though the field, from £200 'bargain' rigs to my present hayter
harrier 48, which cost the thick end of £700. only thing i can say is - i
wish i'd spent that £700 a long time back, and saved all the grief in
between.

i also use a honda ride-on, a relatively old 2213: honda seem to make
quality gear. although i realise it's all subjective.

HTH

Old 14-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Nick Gray

"Stewart Devereux" wrote in message
Off to my local B+Q to buy a petrol lawnmover. Want one that will add
strips. Two options a Honda for £299 or the Mountfield for £349. This has

roller, the Honda a "stripping rubber strip". The Honda has a smaller
cutting width. Which one would people recommend ?
--
Regards,
Stu Devereux.
Fax no. 08701339568
(Outside UK fax 448701339568)
E-mail.

I've had a Mountfield with steel deck for the last 8 years. Starts first or
second time every time, even after the winter. However I noticed on the
weekend that there is a small hole that's rusted through. So unless you
clean and dry the machine after each use you might want to consider an
aluminium alloy deck

My neighbour brought a Honda a couple of years ago and has had all sorts of
problems. But having said that, I can't believe Honda would still be in the
lawnmower business if all of their machines had the same level of problems.

As Atwifa said, if you can afford it go for a Hayter - it's what most of the
professionals use. Although I'm not sure what he meant about not having seen
a Mountfield with a metal deck - I've not seen one that doesn't have a steel
deck. Although I agree with avoiding plastic decks on all mowers.

Have a look at this site I stumbled across yesterday -
http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/index.html (no I'm not affliated with them),
going through their mower advisor might give you a better idea of the
differences between the available machines.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 14-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Steve

Nick Gray wrote:

As Atwifa said, if you can afford it go for a Hayter - it's what most of the
professionals use.

Not where I work. We have one Hayter, and it *is* good (pulls
powerfully, cuts nicely), but it is expensive, weighs half a ton, and
the bar that connects the rear wheels to the front ones (part of the
cutting-height adjustment) is always bending, causing the mower to be
low on one side.

If I needed versatility and the ability to cope with hard use, I'd go
for an Australian-made two-stroke Victa. They will cut a neat lawn or an
overgrown jungle. That engine is amazingly torquey, and is considerably
lighter than four-stroke engines.
Old 14-07-2004, 12:27 PM
atwifa

As Atwifa said, if you can afford it go for a Hayter - it's what most of
the
professionals use. Although I'm not sure what he meant about not having
seen
a Mountfield with a metal deck - I've not seen one that doesn't have a
steel
deck.

sorry: was going on an empirical experience of precisely one machine ...
and assumed thereafter that all mountfields were plastic-decked. this is
obviously not the case.

would like to use the aussie machine mentioned by later poster ... a
two-stroke motor with *torque* - now there's a prospect ;-)

Old 15-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Nick Gray

"atwifa" wrote in message
As Atwifa said, if you can afford it go for a Hayter - it's what most of
the
professionals use. Although I'm not sure what he meant about not having
seen
a Mountfield with a metal deck - I've not seen one that doesn't have a
steel
deck.

sorry: was going on an empirical experience of precisely one machine ...
and assumed thereafter that all mountfields were plastic-decked. this is
obviously not the case.

would like to use the aussie machine mentioned by later poster ... a
two-stroke motor with *torque* - now there's a prospect ;-)

Yeah the Oz machine sounds good. My brother is living in Australia now so
maybe he can post me one :-). Actually his name is Steve - it's not you is
it Bro?

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 15-07-2004, 01:34 PM
atwifa

maybe he can post me one :-). Actually his name is Steve - it's not you is
it Bro?

uh-uh: i'm another nick. based in east yorkshire here. long way from oz
.... although i was there on the se coast last winter for a month or so.