Old 13-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Melanie

Default Yellow Tomato Leaves

All the leaves on my 3 tumbler tomatoes have turned completely yellow, but
the leaves have not dropped off, nor have they shrivelled, nor have they
dried up. The leaves have turned bright yellow, no mottling, but some of
the leaves do have a few brown spots.

Today I stripped off all the leaves completely as I figured they weren't of
any use and if it's a disease it might spread.

The 3 plants are in one hanging basket but the basket has not been hung up;
it's been kept on a greenhouse bench. The soil has been kept constantly
moist (possibly too moist?). None of my other tomato varieties are like
this.

I've put up a scanned image of one of the leaves, if anyone would care to
look and let me know what the problem could be.

I did overdo the fertiliser once, so could it be fertiliser burn? When the
plants first started to yellow I sprayed them with epsom salts.

Also, there are several small green tomatoes still on the plants so if these
tomatoes ripen will they still be edible?

The image is at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/melanie.mccluskey/

Many thanks.

Old 13-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered User

Location: West-Midlands UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Melanie
[...]

normaly I`de have said lack of Nitrogen, but looking at that pic on your site, it seems VERY YELLOW doesn`t it!
from what you`ve said, it`s quite possible the roots have been damaged, toms like alot of feed (high potassium especialy) but they`re not gross feeders, and so it is possible to "scorch" the roots
a foliar feed of ammonium sulphate or ammonium nitrate, would provide a nitrogen boost, but I somehow think it`s a bit late for the poor chap
good luck, I`de love to know the results of your toms IF they ripen, and yes, they`ll be perfectly edible if it`s a mineral deficiency.
but if it`s been caught downwind of a herbicide spray (and it looks a bit like that) then I wouldn`t risk it.
__________________
Say it with Flower, Give her a Triffid
Old 14-07-2004, 05:09 AM
RichardS

"Melanie" wrote in message
[...]

In the absence of disease, sounds to me like a mineral deficiency (from what
I've been told). Trouble is, at the moment I can't remember which one! (I
_think_ it's magnesium - I'll refer to this magical ingredient as XXX
below...).

Month or so ago I was in the local garden centre, looking for organic tomato
food. I couldn't find anything organic on the shelves specifically marketed
as tom food, so I looked at the makeup of one of the non-organic tom foods,
it was something like 4-3-8 NPK, i.e. a high potassium fertilizer. Found
an organic fertilizer with a similar makeup.

However, the propriatory tom food had "includes XXX" on the label.

Asked one of the staff about this, and their reply was that yellowing leaves
was a classic sign of this deficiency, and if this happens just use one of
the specific XXX fertilizers to restore the balance. It gets washed out of
the soil due to the large amount of water that toms need.

I'm sure that someone can confirm/deny this...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old 14-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Bella

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in a message:
snip
Asked one of the staff about this, and their reply was that yellowing
leaves was a classic sign of this deficiency, and if this happens just use
one of the specific XXX fertilizers to restore the balance. It gets
washed out of the soil due to the large amount of water that toms
need. I'm sure that someone can confirm/deny this...

---
I have had the same yellowing leaves problem with my tumbling tomatoes. I
was told that as I used a compost recommended for hanging baskets, I should
be giving my toms double strength of liquid tomato food over the week, thus
doubling the magnesium and giving them extra disease resistance. This I have
done for the past two weeks, and I am happy to report that there are no more
yellowing leaves.

Bella

Old 14-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Sue da Nimm

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

In the absence of disease, sounds to me like a mineral deficiency (from

what
I've been told). Trouble is, at the moment I can't remember which one!

(I
_think_ it's magnesium - I'll refer to this magical ingredient as XXX
below...).

Yellow patches are typical of magnesium deficiency and you need to choose
your tomato food with care because some of the Discount Shed own-brand swill
doesn't include it. But your pictures are of something far more extreme. But
have you overcrowded the plants?

We only ever plant two tumblers to a basket - if you overcrowd them all you
do is reduce the size of the crop. We normally add Westons granular feed to
the compost, which gets the two plants in each basket going like Jack's
beanstalks! We still feed every other day with Tomorite. This year the crops
have been so heavy that we have had to take the baskets down from the
greenhouse ridges and put them on column stands. (Just finished enjoying
tea - free range egg omelettes with tumblers straight from the greenhouse
along with Marshalls experimental lettuce and home-grown beet. Scrummy!)