GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Turf laying (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/78972-turf-laying.html)

Pile 14-07-2004 01:38 PM

Turf laying

Can anyone recommend a bloke/company in Herts to prepare & lay a
relatively small (30x30 foot) area with lawn?

How much will this cost? We have dug it over and cleared it of stones
etc but I assume the final grading will be a few hours work.

PK 14-07-2004 01:38 PM

Turf laying

Pile wrote:
Can anyone recommend a bloke/company in Herts to prepare & lay a
relatively small (30x30 foot) area with lawn?

How much will this cost? We have dug it over and cleared it of stones
etc but I assume the final grading will be a few hours work.

wrong area so can't help directly.

BUT:

there are a lot of cowboys out there who will simply rake it over and throw
the turf down.

Be clear to have a written specification of what they will do and make sure
you see them do it.

pk

Nick Gray 15-07-2004 01:16 PM

Turf laying

"Pile" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a bloke/company in Herts to prepare & lay a
relatively small (30x30 foot) area with lawn?

How much will this cost? We have dug it over and cleared it of stones
etc but I assume the final grading will be a few hours work.

Hi,

I'd suggest that you contact a local Rolawn depot and see if they can
recommend a contractor in your area.

See http://www.rolawn.co.uk for Rolawn local depot details.

Having said that, it is fairly straight forward to lay a lawn yourself. See
my page at http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/project_newlawn.asp for more
details.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

tuin man 15-07-2004 01:16 PM

Turf laying

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"Pile" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a bloke/company in Herts to prepare & lay a
relatively small (30x30 foot) area with lawn?

How much will this cost? We have dug it over and cleared it of stones
etc but I assume the final grading will be a few hours work.

Hi,

I'd suggest that you contact a local Rolawn depot and see if they can
recommend a contractor in your area.

See http://www.rolawn.co.uk for Rolawn local depot details.

Having said that, it is fairly straight forward to lay a lawn yourself.

See
my page at http://www.ukgardening.co.uk/project_newlawn.asp for more
details.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

For a second there I confused your site with www.ukgardendesigner.com which
I found recently and was just really waiting for an excuse to mention it....
coz it's nice.

Patrick

Pile 21-07-2004 09:57 PM

Turf laying

Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf comes in
at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about rotovating and
then grading and seeding? Would this be the same in the long run cos I
bet it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Rod 21-07-2004 10:02 PM

Turf laying

On 19 Jul 2004 10:37:13 -0700, (Pile) wrote:

Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf comes in
at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about rotovating and
then grading and seeding? Would this be the same in the long run cos I
bet it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Given the choice I always go for seed. You get to choose your grasses,
it's cheaper and less work. Seedbed preparation is (should be anyway)
much the same for turf or seed, and lugging loads of turf around is
hard work. If *sufficient* water is given when needed seed will
germinate in 10 days or less and establishment is quick. We are now
approaching one of the 2 best times for sowing a new lawn. Get it
prepared in the next month or so and sow your seeds just before the
heavens open in mid/late August ;~)
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Franz Heymann 21-07-2004 10:03 PM

Turf laying

"Pile" wrote in message
om...
Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf comes

in
at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about rotovating

and
then grading and seeding? Would this be the same in the long run cos

bet it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

That makes at least as good a lawn as laying turf. It does not take
all that long for a sown lawn to be attractive and usable.

Franz

PK 21-07-2004 10:09 PM

Turf laying

Franz Heymann wrote:
"Pile" wrote in message
om...
Well, I have contacted the local Rolawn depot. Just the turf
comes in at at over the mind blowing £500 figure!
I know it would take longer to establish but what about
rotovating and then grading and seeding? Would this be the
same in the long run cos I bet it would be a hell of a lot
cheaper.

That makes at least as good a lawn as laying turf. It does not
take all that long for a sown lawn to be attractive and usable.

I sowed in april and had a fully useable lawn in 8 weeks

pk

Pile 21-07-2004 11:53 PM

Turf laying

Thanks for the advice all! Seed it is then. Are there any tips a real
novice could use to make this any easier?

I think I need to rotovate, then rake level and maybe lightly roll?
Probably use stakes with string for the level. Any extra tips most
welcome.

Thanks again for your useful ideas.