GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb in a tub (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/79163-re-rhubarb-tub.html)

Mike Lyle 15-07-2004 06:15 PM

Rhubarb in a tub

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
Hi,

cropping in the first year.

I have lifted a rhubarb crown which has been in the wrong place for years,
and done very little.

I split it, gave one crown away, and pottted the other up in a black plastic
9" pot.

It is growing well and producing some nice looking stems.

I am now contemplating potting it on into a larger tub with plenty of
nutrients and also using some of the stems.

Is there any reason why I can't crop rhubarb from a tub for a year or so
before planting it out again in the garden?

It does seem to be growing remarkably well :-)

Glad somebody's trying this: I've thought about it every now and then,
but never actually needed to do it. It's a very handsome plant, and in
mild areas it doesn't stay dormant for long. I can't see why it won't
do in a suitably enormous container and given plenty to eat and drink.
But I wouldn't pull any stems the first year.

Mike.