Old 16-07-2004, 12:19 AM
sarah

Default Brassica virus?

I've got summer broccoli, miniature kohlrabi[1] and miniature Savoys,
all of which are showing mottled yellow patches on some leaves on some
plants. The patches bear no apparent relationship to water droplets or
anything else, and the affected plants have an indefinable air of being
under the weather. Could this be a virus, or is it some deficiency I
could do something about? Watering with dilute seaweed extract didn't
significantly cheer them up.

I've just worked out that my cherished sugar peas are dying because of
root rot, so I'm about to water them all (soil/roots only) with Bordeaux
mixture just to show willing :-((

regards
sarah

[1] Never grown kohlrabi before, never eaten them. But the miniatures
are terribly sweet (as in cute).

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.
Old 16-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Robert

"sarah" wrote in message
. ..
: I've got summer broccoli, miniature kohlrabi[1] and miniature Savoys,
: all of which are showing mottled yellow patches on some leaves on some
: plants. The patches bear no apparent relationship to water droplets or
: anything else, and the affected plants have an indefinable air of being
: under the weather. Could this be a virus, or is it some deficiency I
: could do something about? Watering with dilute seaweed extract didn't
: significantly cheer them up.

Are you sure they don't have cabbage root fly or club root disease? If they
are like that and all 'floppy' I would say it's either one of those

Old 16-07-2004, 09:14 AM
sarah

Robert wrote:

"sarah" wrote in message
. ..
: I've got summer broccoli, miniature kohlrabi[1] and miniature Savoys,
: all of which are showing mottled yellow patches on some leaves on some
: plants. The patches bear no apparent relationship to water droplets or
: anything else, and the affected plants have an indefinable air of being
: under the weather. Could this be a virus, or is it some deficiency I
: could do something about? Watering with dilute seaweed extract didn't
: significantly cheer them up.

Are you sure they don't have cabbage root fly or club root disease? If they
are like that and all 'floppy' I would say it's either one of those

No, they're not floppy -- it's just the leaves are discoloured and the
plants aren't as vigorous as the others. I haven't seen club root yet,
and touch wood I won't; I grow all my brassicas from seed.

regards
sarah

Old 16-07-2004, 09:14 AM
sarah

Rod wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:45:00 +0100, (sarah)
wrote:

I've got summer broccoli, miniature kohlrabi[1] and miniature Savoys,
all of which are showing mottled yellow patches on some leaves on some
plants. The patches bear no apparent relationship to water droplets or
anything else, and the affected plants have an indefinable air of being
under the weather. Could this be a virus, or is it some deficiency I
could do something about? Watering with dilute seaweed extract didn't
significantly cheer them up.

These patches usually appear after attack by grey cabbage aphids and
is worse after periods of stress - like hot dry weather. I believe
they are symptoms of a virus but given good growing conditions they
can grow out of it to some extent. The grey aphids are worse in hot
dry conditions. If you start your plants under glass, that's when the
aphids get going so get your plants outside and hardened off a bit
quicker next time. Keep an eye on those young plants and hit the
aphids with a soap type insecticide as soon as you see any signs.

Thanks, Rod, that makes sense. I haven't got glass, but there are a lot
of grey aphids on the brassicas anyway; I'm in East Anglia, and despite
the grey days we've not had that much rain and the lawn is still brown.
I've been watering the vegetables daily, but perhaps not enough.

regards
sarah

Old 22-07-2004, 05:12 PM
sarah

wrote:

[...]

Are there virus resistant squash seeds? Virus killing my squash! goldtech Gardening 10 12-04-2013 01:16 PM
brassica seedlings and pests Cat(h) United Kingdom 3 30-04-2009 02:54 PM
Brassica cage? Chris United Kingdom 14 06-04-2004 09:49 PM
Brassica Seedling problems United Kingdom 2 02-04-2003 05:56 AM
Brassica transplanting Patrick United Kingdom 5 01-04-2003 01:20 PM