GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning Flowering Cherry Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/79275-pruning-flowering-cherry-trees.html)

Daisy[_1_] 16-07-2004 06:25 PM

Pruning Flowering Cherry Trees

I have two flowering cherries (about 20-30ft tall) and was wondering when the best time would be to cut them back as they are in serious need of it.

Thanks.

Tumbleweed 21-07-2004 09:13 PM

"Daisy" wrote in message

I have two flowering cherries (about 20-30ft tall) and was wondering
when the best time would be to cut them back as they are in serious
need of it.

Thanks.

I cut my cherry back in spring and killed it. So I'd rule that season out
:-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

tuin man 21-07-2004 09:13 PM

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Daisy" wrote in message

I have two flowering cherries (about 20-30ft tall) and was wondering
when the best time would be to cut them back as they are in serious
need of it.

Thanks.

I cut my cherry back in spring and killed it. So I'd rule that season out
:-)

Cherry = Prunus (whatever)....
Think Plum tree.
Unlike apple trees, they are more susceptible to certain nasties, which,
having pruned it in spring when the sap was rising, is probably what
happened to yours.
Therefore, best time is either July (yes I know it sounds odd) or during a
cold mid winter.

Patrick

atwifa 21-07-2004 09:15 PM

Pruning Flowering Cherry Trees

Therefore, best time is either July (yes I know it sounds odd) or during a
cold mid winter.

agreed, although i usually wait til aug/sept for formative pruning since
july has been so wet these last few years, and early autumn relatively warm
here in yorks. a couple of ornamental cherries i have here (p. incisa? not
sure) always flower in february ... and sometimes bring out the occasional
bumblebee ...

http://www.yeknom.karoo.net/P1010676.JPG

.... although the bee in the picture had failed to notice the looming
snowstorm this year.

Derek Turner 21-07-2004 09:41 PM

Pruning Flowering Cherry Trees

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:25:47 +0200, Daisy
wrote:

I have two flowering cherries (about 20-30ft tall) and was wondering
when the best time would be to cut them back as they are in serious

August.

Douglas 21-07-2004 11:52 PM

"Daisy" wrote in message

I have two flowering cherries (about 20-30ft tall) and was wondering
when the best time would be to cut them back as they are in serious
need of it.

Thanks.

"Daisy
Daisy ---- give me your answer, do!. I'm half crazy, all for the love of

you!.
It won't be a stylish marriage, -
I can't aford a carriage!, - but you'll l look sweet
upon the seat
Of a bicyle made for two!.

(Couln't resist it, Daisy!.
Best wishes!.