Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Yakman

Default What is the best way to kill ants?

I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.

Many thanks.

---

Old 22-07-2004, 01:01 AM
PK

Yakman wrote:
I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a
border all round. I have had a problem with many ants over the
past few years. This year though there seems to be more than
ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.

Armillatox.

I use it neat at entrance holes in paving.

not as an insecticide you understand but just as a way of helping the ants
clean their nest.

pk

Old 22-07-2004, 01:04 AM
redclay

Robert wrote in message

"Yakman" wrote in message
: I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
: round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
: year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six
sources.
:
: What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

Boric acid mixed with sugar or honey at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon to one
ounce. Another good bait is ground pecans or walnuts mixed with boric acid
at the same rate. Ants do damage, they "raise" aphids both root and leaf.
They will get into fruit.

Old 22-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Yakman
writes
I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

Stamping on them will sometimes work. Ten with one blow etc.

Unless they are invading the house it is easier to live and let live.
Otherwise as you have already found the poisons available to
householders do little to discourage them.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.

You are wasting your time entirely with boiling water. Some of the borax
based baits sometimes work, but it is only worth doing to eliminate a
colony that is invading the house or kitchen.

Even if you killed all the ants in your 12' x 12' space now new colonies
will re-appear in every suitable location when the queens fly later in
summer.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 22-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Douglas

"redclay" wrote in message

Robert wrote in message

"Yakman" wrote in message
: I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border

all
: round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years.

This
: year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six
sources.
:
: What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

Boric acid mixed with sugar or honey at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon to one
ounce. Another good bait is ground pecans or walnuts mixed with boric

acid
at the same rate. Ants do damage, they "raise" aphids both root and

leaf.
They will get into fruit.

********
At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.
********
Doug.
********

Old 22-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Klara

In message , Douglas
writes
At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all
over the kitchen cupboards. I tried everything but no luck. They would
come and go at random. Something to do with the season or the climate
or an ant 'race' (culture) development?. In the jungle I have seen
Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.

We had a sudden population explosion in the house (though luckily the
living-room, not the kitchen). Last week was graduation week - all week
long the window was black with winged ants and worker ants pushing them
and (presumably) shouting 'fly! fly!'
Hated it, but there was no choice - ant killer. It's very quiet now; I
hope the rest will take the hint and move back out into the garden,
where the green woodpecker is teaching her baby to catch ants!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 AM
newsb

In article , Douglas
writes

At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.

When camping - and occasionally in a house - I've found that a line of
neat washing up liquid makes an effective barrier. Presumably, you need
a) a hard surface to put it on; b) no other points of entry; c) to renew
it fairly often.

--
regards andyw
Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Sacha

On 22/7/04 9:10, in article , "newsb"
wrote:

In article , Douglas
writes

At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.

When camping - and occasionally in a house - I've found that a line of
neat washing up liquid makes an effective barrier. Presumably, you need
a) a hard surface to put it on; b) no other points of entry; c) to renew
it fairly often.

D) to remember it's there so you don't break your neck slipping on it. ;-)
In one house I owned, it was impossible to get rid of all the ants - they
were in some kind of hollow in the wall of the kitchen and they returned
every year. Eventually, we just drew a line of Nippon or something similar
round certain exits and entrances and established some sort of territorial
rights for them and for me!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 AM

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:50:42 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/7/04 9:10, in article , "newsb"
wrote:

In article , Douglas
writes

[...]

They use naphthalene flakes in OZ to deter ants.

It seems to work according to this
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...0073.Gb.r.html

There's no shortage of rain here
http://www.meteonet.nl/fotoverslag17072004.htm
--
Martin
Old 22-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:34:54 +0100, "Robert"
wrote:

Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).

--
Chris

Old 22-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Kate Morgan

Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).

Yes I agree with all of that

kate

Old 23-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kate Morgan wrote:

Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).

Yes I agree with all of that

And that's serious harm?

For heaven's sake, gardening is about living with nature. If you
don't want to give an inch, you are the sort of person that regards
Monsanto as a "green" company. You can't eliminate ants without
creating a totally artficial ecology.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Kate Morgan

Yes I agree with all of that

And that's serious harm?

For heaven's sake, gardening is about living with nature. If you
don't want to give an inch, you are the sort of person that regards
Monsanto as a "green" company. You can't eliminate ants without
creating a totally artficial ecology.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I did not say it was serious harm did I! I just agreed that that is
what they did.You have no idea what sort of person I am if you did then
you would not make such a remark.

regards

kate