Old 22-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Rick

Default Killing Sumac tree roots - Help

Up till the recent gales, I had a Sumac tree next to the lawn.

The winds finally defeated it
Now all that is left is a small stump. However the root system is
throwing up small saplings (suckers?) through the garden and lawn.

I had resisted SWMBO efforts to remove the tree before, but now it's
gone she wants the saplings gone as well.

Would drilling a small hole in the stump and pouring neat Round Up
into the hole kill the root system? If not what would do the job?

Rick...
Old 22-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Bob Hobden

"Rick" wrote in message
Up till the recent gales, I had a Sumac tree next to the lawn.

The winds finally defeated it
Now all that is left is a small stump. However the root system is
throwing up small saplings (suckers?) through the garden and lawn.

I had resisted SWMBO efforts to remove the tree before, but now it's
gone she wants the saplings gone as well.

Would drilling a small hole in the stump and pouring neat Round Up
into the hole kill the root system? If not what would do the job?

Roundup only works on green leaves and stems no good on wood. I used SBK
Brushkiller in the way you suggest on my Rhus typhina and it was very
successful.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Rick

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:13:50 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
Up till the recent gales, I had a Sumac tree next to the lawn.

The winds finally defeated it
Now all that is left is a small stump. However the root system is
throwing up small saplings (suckers?) through the garden and lawn.

I had resisted SWMBO efforts to remove the tree before, but now it's
gone she wants the saplings gone as well.

Would drilling a small hole in the stump and pouring neat Round Up
into the hole kill the root system? If not what would do the job?

Roundup only works on green leaves and stems no good on wood. I used SBK
Brushkiller in the way you suggest on my Rhus typhina and it was very
successful.

Great, Thanks.

I'll give it a try.

Rick..
Old 22-07-2004, 05:22 PM
flower faerie

wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message

Up till the recent gales, I had a Sumac tree next to the lawn.

The winds finally defeated it
Now all that is left is a small stump. However the root system is
throwing up small saplings (suckers?) through the garden and lawn.

I had resisted SWMBO efforts to remove the tree before, but now it's
gone she wants the saplings gone as well.

Would drilling a small hole in the stump and pouring neat Round Up
into the hole kill the root system? If not what would do the job?

Roundup only works on green leaves and stems no good on wood. I used SBK
Brushkiller in the way you suggest on my Rhus typhina and it was very
successful.

Great, Thanks.

I'll give it a try.

Rick..

I also used SBK on a tree stump that worked but on another which I think
was alder it didn't work very well at all. Digging out the main roots
and then painting the sbk onto the saplings that appear seems to work ok.

ff.

Old 18-09-2004, 04:09 PM
bdowling_on_foxhill

I have a horrible problem with Sumac, which has infested a hill and
completly obstructs our view. There are hundreds of them. Is there any
other suggestion for solving this large scale problem.

Old 18-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Tumbleweed

"bdowling_on_foxhill" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
I have a horrible problem with Sumac, which has infested a hill and
completly obstructs our view. There are hundreds of them. Is there any
other suggestion for solving this large scale problem.

You'll have to keep cutting it down wherever it grows up, maybe glyphosphate
might help, we had a Sumac problem on a lawn which was cured by repeated
mowing, a large area could be a problem. Got a goat? (though IIRC isnt it
poisonous?)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 19-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Brian Watson

"bdowling_on_foxhill" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
I have a horrible problem with Sumac, which has infested a hill and
completly obstructs our view. There are hundreds of them. Is there any
other suggestion for solving this large scale problem.

As suggested in the other reply, cut down the tops and leave some leaf area
on the stalks for treating with glyphosate.

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps, and pour in
root-rotting crystals.

Warning: you will get nasty sticky white sap on anything that comes into
contact with it.

I think meths will get it off, but I'm not absolutely sure about that.
Anyone?
--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 19-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Franz Heymann

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

[snip]

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps, and

pour in
root-rotting crystals.

That sounds like magic. What are these crystals made of?

[snip]

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Brian Watson

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

[snip]

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps, and

pour in
root-rotting crystals.

That sounds like magic. What are these crystals made of?

Blowed if I know! If I did, I'd probably make my own.

Try your local garden centre and ask for stump killer or root killer.

Old 19-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Bob Hobden

"bdowling_on_foxhill" wrote ...
I have a horrible problem with Sumac, which has infested a hill and
completly obstructs our view. There are hundreds of them. Is there any
other suggestion for solving this large scale problem.

I killed ours by cutting it down and drilling holes in the stump in which we
poured neet SBK Brushkiller, this did for the roots, suckers and all.
However, it would help if you would give an indication of your location.

Old 19-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

[snip]

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps, and

pour in
root-rotting crystals.

That sounds like magic. What are these crystals made of?

Ammonium sulphamate. Active ingredient of "Rootout" and some others.

Don't get it on your fingers. Moderately effective. I have also been
told that a trace of copper sulphate will accelerate wood decay in the
ground by inhibiting an enzyme that protects wood from attack. I have
never tried this as my worst tree stump yielded to brute force earlier
this year.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 19-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:13:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

[snip]

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps,

and
pour in
root-rotting crystals.

That sounds like magic. What are these crystals made of?

Sugar and weed killer?

He said rotting, not exploding.

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

[snip]

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps,

and
pour in
root-rotting crystals.

That sounds like magic. What are these crystals made of?

Blowed if I know! If I did, I'd probably make my own.

Try your local garden centre and ask for stump killer or root

killer.

I have some of that. It only kills the roots. The rotting occurs
over a period of many years later when the fungi get going.

Franz

Old 19-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Brian Watson

wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

[snip]

Plan B: lop 'em off at ground level, drill the remaining stumps,

and
pour in
root-rotting crystals.

That sounds like magic. What are these crystals made of?

Sugar and weed killer?

He said rotting, not exploding.

If you are in a hurry and can't wait for my root-rotting technique, that'll
do nicely.

:-))