GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Creepy Crawlies in Raspberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/79844-creepy-crawlies-raspberries.html)

Poppy 22-07-2004 12:47 AM

Creepy Crawlies in Raspberries

Dear All

I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have a good
harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like minature
caterpillars. Does anyone know what they are? How do I prevent them from
being there? And how do I get them off the fruit? They're putting me off
:-(

TIA
--Poppy

ned 22-07-2004 12:47 AM

"Poppy" wrote in message
Dear All

I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have a

good
harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like

minature
caterpillars. Does anyone know what they are? How do I prevent

them from
being there? And how do I get them off the fruit? They're putting

me off
:-(

'Might be sawfly larvae.
Had you spotted them earlier, then a spray with insecticide would have
been in order.
But now, at picking time its a bit late for that.
And washing the fruit is going to reduce the flavour.
Dunno! Not much help. Sorry.

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Judith Lea 22-07-2004 12:49 AM

Creepy Crawlies in Raspberries

In article , Kay
writes
Cover the raspberries with water to which you have added some salt and
leave a few hours. Drain and rinse.

I don't know what they are, they don't seem to affect the taste and they
don't do significant damage. I usually pick off the visible ones and
don't worry about what I can't see.

(Note to anyone who may have visited - I do the full salt water thing
for visitors ;-) )

I'm very glad to hear that Kay!!!

--
Judith Lea

Rod 22-07-2004 12:56 AM

Creepy Crawlies in Raspberries

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:39:27 GMT, "Poppy"
wrote:

Dear All

I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have a good
harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like minature
caterpillars. Does anyone know what they are? How do I prevent them from
being there? And how do I get them off the fruit? They're putting me off
:-(

TIA
--Poppy

Raspberry beetle grubs. Mostly in the hull of the fruit but you're
pulling the berry off the hull as you're picking aren't you? So
where's the problem? - left behind on the plant. If you're making jam
a bit of extra protein isn't noticed anyway ;~)
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

David Hill 22-07-2004 01:02 AM

Creepy Crawlies in Raspberries

"......... I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have
a good harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like
minature caterpillars. ........."

I don't have this problem.......my problem is that my Raspberries are in the
Birds who seem to like the mix of fruit and meat.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries