Old 22-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Juco

Default Petrol V Electric hedge trimmer

Hi,

I bought a used petrol hedge trimmer it went `bang` guy replaced but I sold
it, I then bought a new one, after a couple of hours use it wouldn`t start,
all were McCullochs 2 stroke. I have lots of years experience with motorbike
engines so well aware of mixtures etc and the settings were as per factory
so don`t think its anything I have done wrong. The shop I bought the new one
from has reimbursed me but now not sure about another 2 stroke and thinking
about an electric (although I don`t like trailing cables) My hedges are all
near to house and can probably do the whole lot in a couple of hours, so
thinking it might be worth the inconvenience and just go electric.

I would be intersested on others thoughts on this especially those that have
used both petrol and electric.
thanks

Old 22-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Broadback

Rod wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:23:14 GMT, "Juco"
wrote:

after a couple of hours use it wouldn`t start,
all were McCullochs 2 stroke. I have lots of years experience with motorbike
engines so well aware of mixtures etc and the settings were as per factory
so don`t think its anything I have done wrong.

That's most probably your problem. Most small 2strokes now are pretty
good but McC had a lousy reputation, don't know if they're still as
bad - haven't touched one for many years.
Stihl would be my choice for petrol or Viking (Stihl's consumer brand)
for electric.

now not sure about another 2 stroke and thinking
about an electric (although I don`t like trailing cables) My hedges are all
near to house and can probably do the whole lot in a couple of hours, so
thinking it might be worth the inconvenience and just go electric.

I would be intersested on others thoughts on this especially those that have
used both petrol and electric.
thanks

Electric is lighter, quieter and cleaner. Many pros in big gardens
with lots of topiary use fairly short light electric ones run from a
small genny on a barrow or trailer. We use both, fortunately one bloke
prefers petrol, the other prefers the electric machine.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Petrol are better, however I had bad experience with Stihl. Bought a
number of Stihl products on moving here, all were ok except the hedge
cutter. OK I thought no problem, back to the supplier, faffed with it
still a problem. Back again, same problem, made a fuss, Stihl sent
their rep to my house, fiddled with it, said ok. When I went to use it
next am same problem.

Stihl then said it was a part that needed replacing and would need to go
back to their factory. It was only when I made a lot of fuss, and I
mean a lot, that the supplier refunded my money. I bought a Husquvana,
no problems.

I've no problem with Stihl products, but having a bad one the service
was appalling.

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.