GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best vege to grow in the shade? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/79922-best-vege-grow-shade.html)

Zenobia 22-07-2004 04:09 PM

Best vege to grow in the shade?

My back garden is north facing so my house shades part of it
quite well. In addition there on trees on the left and right (in
my neighbors' gardens)

I want to put some vege in now. (tomorrow).

I have radish, cabbage, carrot, beetroot, spring onion and
spinach.

Which of the above are best planted nearest the house (in the
best shade) and which should I put in the sunniest position near
the back of the garden?

Mike Lyle 22-07-2004 05:33 PM

Zenobia wrote in message . ..
My back garden is north facing so my house shades part of it
quite well. In addition there on trees on the left and right (in
my neighbors' gardens)

I want to put some vege in now. (tomorrow).

I have radish, cabbage, carrot, beetroot, spring onion and
spinach.

Which of the above are best planted nearest the house (in the
best shade) and which should I put in the sunniest position near
the back of the garden?

Not expecting to get away without being disagreed with, I'd say
radishes and spring onions in the shadier part, root crops in the
sunnier, cabbage and spinach in between. Not ideal, of course, but
it's good to experiment and find out what you can get away with, even
at this time of the year.

My reasoning is that the spring onions aren't intended to develop
fully before harvest; radishes you want to stay succulent as long as
possible; carrots and beetroot want to make sugar, so give them all
the sun they can get.

I assume you like your house too much to want to put it on the market!
If there's a front garden, sneak a few vegetables in there too.

Mike.