GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Funny looking Pumpkin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/79939-funny-looking-pumpkin.html)

michael2 22-07-2004 05:22 PM

Funny looking Pumpkin

I have read somewhere that Pumpkin seeds taken from a pumpkin
generally dont breed true. I am asking this as I saved some seeds from
one last year and have grown two plants which are doing well. Now on
them I have growning things that are almost round but are green and
stripped like marrows in fact a better description would be to call
them stubby marrows as the stalk enters them from the side not the
top. Will these become orange pumpkins or will they remain stubby
marrows, also if they will become pumpkins do I need to turn them so
the stalk enters from the top?

Mike Lyle 24-07-2004 11:02 AM

Funny looking Pumpkin

(michael2) wrote in message . com...
I have read somewhere that Pumpkin seeds taken from a pumpkin
generally dont breed true. I am asking this as I saved some seeds from
one last year and have grown two plants which are doing well. Now on
them I have growning things that are almost round but are green and
stripped like marrows in fact a better description would be to call
them stubby marrows as the stalk enters them from the side not the
top. Will these become orange pumpkins or will they remain stubby
marrows, also if they will become pumpkins do I need to turn them so
the stalk enters from the top?

They all go some shade of orange or yellow in the end, including
ordinary marrows. I don't think turning them will change the final
shape, and if they're already well developed you may break the stalk.
If they're not very big now they'll probably turn themselves as they
grow, anyhow.

Mike.