Old 23-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Ivan

Default Neighbors tree roots in my yard

My neighbor has two very large tower poplar planted about two feet from the
fence line. This weedy tree sends shoots up forty feet into my yard. How
do I stop them? Also I want to plant a tree or lilac close by but I'm
afraid that if I water and feed it, the poplar will be the one to benefit.
What would be an aggressive tree to plant in the vicinity that might choke
the poplar shoots? The planting site would be on the east side of the
offending trees., and would be shaded somewhat by them.
Any suggestions?
Ivan

Old 23-07-2004, 10:09 PM
atwifa

" My neighbor has two very large tower poplar planted about two feet from
the
fence line. This weedy tree sends shoots up forty feet into my yard. How
do I stop them? Also I want to plant a tree or lilac close by but I'm
afraid that if I water and feed it, the poplar will be the one to benefit.
What would be an aggressive tree to plant in the vicinity that might choke
the poplar shoots?

you need to communicate with your neighbour about this whole thing. note i
said 'communicate' - as opposed to 'confront.'

Old 24-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Registered User

Location: Lincoln, UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
My neighbor has two very large tower poplar planted about two feet from the
fence line. This weedy tree sends shoots up forty feet into my yard. How
do I stop them? Also I want to plant a tree or lilac close by but I'm
afraid that if I water and feed it, the poplar will be the one to benefit.
What would be an aggressive tree to plant in the vicinity that might choke
the poplar shoots? The planting site would be on the east side of the
offending trees., and would be shaded somewhat by them.
Any suggestions?
Ivan
From your spelling and use of 'yard' instead of 'garden' I assume you are in the USA. Here in the UK, you can dig down on your side of the boundary and thus remove the roots that are coming into your garden. That will prevent suckers until the roots regrow, which they will. You could try digging a trench close to your boundary and inserting something impermeable like concrete to a sufficient depth to prevent the regrown roots coming your way. Overdo the root pruning and the trees might blow over in high winds - could be worse than the suckers.

The best bet might be to grow to love poplars.
Old 25-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Sacha

On 23/7/04 4:29, in article , "Ivan"
wrote:

My neighbor has two very large tower poplar planted about two feet from the
fence line. This weedy tree sends shoots up forty feet into my yard. How
do I stop them? Also I want to plant a tree or lilac close by but I'm
afraid that if I water and feed it, the poplar will be the one to benefit.
What would be an aggressive tree to plant in the vicinity that might choke
the poplar shoots? The planting site would be on the east side of the
offending trees., and would be shaded somewhat by them.
Any suggestions?

By the use of the word 'yard' I'm guessing you're posting from USA? This
group is pretty much UK-centric though your problem isn't!
I don't know how insurance companies look at things in other countries but
here they're pretty fussy about how close tall trees are to a house and what
damage they could do. Poplar trees are aggressive in their search for water
so your drains and your neighbour's are in real danger of being undermined
by these trees. I suggest you have a word with your neighbour about this
potential hazard that will be *their* sole responsibility and tell him or
her that you're going to have to notify your insurance company about the
potential damage these trees can do - and ask for the name of their
insurance company so the two can talk to each other. That might do the
trick.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Old 27-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Ivan

By the use of the word 'yard' I'm guessing you're posting from USA? This
group is pretty much UK-centric though your problem isn't!

Actually, CANADA (a member of the commonwealth).

I don't know how insurance companies look at things in other countries but
here they're pretty fussy about how close tall trees are to a house and

what
damage they could do. Poplar trees are aggressive in their search for

water
so your drains and your neighbour's are in real danger of being undermined
by these trees. I suggest you have a word with your neighbour about this

We are serviced with plastic sewer lines, so there is no worry there.

potential hazard that will be *their* sole responsibility and tell him or
her that you're going to have to notify your insurance company about the
potential damage these trees can do - and ask for the name of their
insurance company so the two can talk to each other. That might do the

Yes indeed, that is a good idea. The mention of insurance and liability
might grease the sprockets on his chain saw.

Old 27-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Ivan" contains these words:

By the use of the word 'yard' I'm guessing you're posting from USA? This
group is pretty much UK-centric though your problem isn't!

Actually, CANADA (a member of the commonwealth).

I don't know how insurance companies look at things in other countries but
here they're pretty fussy about how close tall trees are to a house and

what
damage they could do. Poplar trees are aggressive in their search for

water
so your drains and your neighbour's are in real danger of being undermined
by these trees. I suggest you have a word with your neighbour about this

We are serviced with plastic sewer lines, so there is no worry there.

It's not so much undermining that's the risk to drains/pipes, as roots
invading and blocking them, and that can happen to plastic ones. Pipes
settle over time (especially near trees). Wherever there's a join it's
possible for a small drip to leak from the seal, and where that drip
oozes out, a tiny root finer than a hair can enter. Then the root
reaches food/water and expands until it fills and blocks the pipe.
Poplars are notorious for it.

Janet.

Old 28-07-2004, 10:08 AM
newsb

In article , Janet
Baraclough.. writes

It's not so much undermining that's the risk to drains/pipes, as roots
invading and blocking them, and that can happen to plastic ones. Pipes
settle over time (especially near trees). Wherever there's a join it's
possible for a small drip to leak from the seal, and where that drip
oozes out, a tiny root finer than a hair can enter. Then the root
reaches food/water and expands until it fills and blocks the pipe.
Poplars are notorious for it.

Janet.

Many years ago, I lived in a gatehouse at the end of an avenue of limes.
Water pressure was never good, but one year it started to get worse and
worse. The landlord (fairly half-heartedly) started looking all over
the estate for where the leak might be - including getting a trench dug
right across the field. After about 18 months, we ended up with hardly
a trickle of water. Eventually, he got experts in who dug up the old
piping along the avenue. The feed to our house was absolutely full of
tree root for a very long length.

As soon as their iseven a minor leak, tree roots seem to sense it and
head for the area toot sweet

--
regards andyw