GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what's Madeiran "draguiero"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80153-whats-madeiran-draguiero.html)

Janet Baraclough.. 24-07-2004 10:02 PM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

..which might not be the right spelling. I always think I'll remember
plant names despite frequent evidence to the contrary. I brought back
some seeds and they've just germinated into something pointy.
Unfortunately I can't remember what dragueiro is..does anyone know?

Even more annoyingly, I completely lost the label on another batch of
seed, which are now growing away in the garden marked "Madeiran seed". I
also bought various bulbs in the flower market there, and the stall
holder generously gave me a free bulb of something else whose name I'd
forgotten by the time I got home...now growing and labelled "freebie"
:-(

Janet.

Phil L 25-07-2004 12:05 AM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
:: ..which might not be the right spelling. I always think I'll

The correct spelling is; dragoeiro....it can live for a thousand years and
can grow to seventy feet tall.

:: remember plant names despite frequent evidence to the contrary. I
:: brought back some seeds and they've just germinated into something
:: pointy. Unfortunately I can't remember what dragueiro is..does
:: anyone know?
::

It's a tree, a dragon tree to be precise, pictures he
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2F5362E8

Other information is he
http://www.prio.no/private/jorgen/dragontree.html

Sacha 25-07-2004 12:05 AM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

On 24/7/04 21:12, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

..which might not be the right spelling. I always think I'll remember
plant names despite frequent evidence to the contrary. I brought back
some seeds and they've just germinated into something pointy.
Unfortunately I can't remember what dragueiro is..does anyone know?

Even more annoyingly, I completely lost the label on another batch of
seed, which are now growing away in the garden marked "Madeiran seed". I
also bought various bulbs in the flower market there, and the stall
holder generously gave me a free bulb of something else whose name I'd
forgotten by the time I got home...now growing and labelled "freebie"
:-(

Janet.

Could this be it? "Dragoeiro is the dragon tree that grows only on Cape
Verde and a few other places in the world."
http://www.dragoeiro.com/
Dracaena drac http://web.galaia.pt/SJorge/geografi.../dragoeiro.php
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Bob Hobden 25-07-2004 01:07 AM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote ...

..which might not be the right spelling. I always think I'll remember
plant names despite frequent evidence to the contrary. I brought back
some seeds and they've just germinated into something pointy.
Unfortunately I can't remember what dragueiro is..does anyone know?

Sounds like it requires a bit of heat and dry conditions Janet, needs a
garden in the South perhaps, and one quite near London in a dry spot, I
wonder who might have such a garden? :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Janet Baraclough.. 26-07-2004 12:03 AM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Sounds like it requires a bit of heat and dry conditions Janet, needs a
garden in the South perhaps, and one quite near London in a dry spot, I
wonder who might have such a garden? :-)

Oooh, I dunno anyone like that, Bob in Runnymede, 17miles west of
London...except my toxic sister, and we can count her out.

Thanks Phil and Sacha, that's it! I think it will have to be a
houseplant here. Now all I need is a 70ft tall house, or a brave knight
in Runnymede 17 miles west of London, to save me from too many dragons
:-) Another one germinated today, so if they survive a Scottish summer,
Bob, I'll send you one when they are big enough. Remind me in autumn.

I've got another dragon-plant..I mention this because I know Susie
Thompson, and Cormaic's missus Karen, are dragon fans. It's persicaria
vaccinifolium Red Dragon, which in sun produces dark red/purple leaves
on viperish zig zag stems. In shade, they are overcast with a beautiful
greenish bloom V-shape like a dragon's tongue. In my last, cold garden
on the Scottish mainland, it had to be cajoled, cosseted and given
winter cover etc. Here on Arran, it has found it's feet and is ramping
away like a fiery beast.

Janet.

magnolia 26-07-2004 02:02 PM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Hey JB!!!! Not much chance of heat up there gal. Now if it requires a
lot of rain they your home and dry ... or wet as the case may be.

Mag's:-)

Janet Baraclough.. 26-07-2004 10:04 PM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

The message
from magnolia contains these words:

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Hey JB!!!! Not much chance of heat up there gal. Now if it requires a
lot of rain they your home and dry ... or wet as the case may be.

Mag's:-)

Oh, hello Mags..nice to see you again.
Parts of Madeira bear an astonishing resemblance to a dreich bog in
Scotland you know :-)

Janet

Bob Hobden 28-07-2004 12:04 AM

what's Madeiran "draguiero"?

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote
After I wrote these words:

Sounds like it requires a bit of heat and dry conditions Janet, needs a
garden in the South perhaps, and one quite near London in a dry spot, I
wonder who might have such a garden? :-)

Oooh, I dunno anyone like that, Bob in Runnymede, 17miles west of
London...except my toxic sister, and we can count her out.

Thanks Phil and Sacha, that's it! I think it will have to be a
houseplant here. Now all I need is a 70ft tall house, or a brave knight
in Runnymede 17 miles west of London, to save me from too many dragons
:-) Another one germinated today, so if they survive a Scottish summer,
Bob, I'll send you one when they are big enough. Remind me in autumn.

Lovely! Worth a try Janet, will remind you idc. :-)