GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet Corn Botany (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80167-sweet-corn-botany.html)

Trevor Appleton 25-07-2004 08:04 AM

Sweet Corn Botany

Whilst picking my first sweet corn the other day I noticed some seeds
growing at the base of the male flowers.

If the top flowers are male and the cobs are female, what is the botanical
theory behind these ‘seeds’.

Would they be viable (if they weren't F1 hybrids, which they are).

Would they be identical genetically to the ‘female’ seeds?

Peltigera 25-07-2004 09:40 AM

Sweet Corn Botany

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor Appleton
Whilst picking my first sweet corn the other day I noticed some seeds
growing at the base of the male flowers.

If the top flowers are male and the cobs are female, what is the botanical
theory behind these ‘seeds’.

Would they be viable (if they weren't F1 hybrids, which they are).

Would they be identical genetically to the ‘female’ seeds?

You can't get seeds growing on the male flowers and I've never noticed anything rsembling seeds on teh male flowers.

On the F1 thing, seeds from an F1 hybrid are viable, they just don't come anything like true to parental form.

Mike Lyle 25-07-2004 05:04 PM

Sweet Corn Botany

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message -service-com...
Whilst picking my first sweet corn the other day I noticed some seeds
growing at the base of the male flowers.

If the top flowers are male and the cobs are female, what is the botanical
theory behind these ?seeds?.

Would they be viable (if they weren't F1 hybrids, which they are).

Would they be identical genetically to the ?female? seeds?

You haven't got a picture, by any chance?

Mike.

Trevor Appleton 25-07-2004 10:05 PM

Sweet Corn Botany

I'll take a pic tomorrow. They're on more than one plant, but I pulled them
off at least one of the plants

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Trevor Appleton" wrote in

message -service-com...

Trevor Appleton 25-07-2004 11:03 PM

Sweet Corn Botany

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/hort/233/sweetcorn.htm

Male: The male inflorescence, the tassel, is also made of spikelets in pairs
with one or more individual florets in each spikelet. Rudimentary pistils
are present but do not ordinarily develop.

This seems to imply female parts are present in the male flower, but I'm no
botanist.

Trevor Appleton 26-07-2004 06:32 PM

Sweet Corn Botany

I have the pics showing seeds on the male sweet corn flowers. Can anyone
tell me whether I can post the pics here or if there's a binary gardening
newsgroup. My ability to upload to a website got lost in the mists of time.

Franz Heymann 26-07-2004 10:13 PM

Sweet Corn Botany

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in
message -service-com...
I have the pics showing seeds on the male sweet corn flowers. Can

anyone
tell me whether I can post the pics here or if there's a binary

gardening
newsgroup. My ability to upload to a website got lost in the mists

of time.

Thgis is a text-only ng.
Post them to any binary group and put the url in a note in this ng.

Franz

Franz Heymann 26-07-2004 11:03 PM

Sweet Corn Botany

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in