GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ANTS!!!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80370-ants.html)

G 27-07-2004 06:08 PM

ANTS!!!!!

Had to let you all know that my local area of Bridgeton Glasgow is thick
with emerging queen ants, i have seen this before but not on this scale!

kathleen syson 29-07-2004 10:10 PM

ANTS!!!!!

How do you know they're Queens? (meant to be serious) I expected to see them
starting to fly in August as usual; but they started scuttling around like
mad last week and then they were flying like a black cloud. Are they all
Queens?

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2004 08:24 AM

ANTS!!!!!

In article ,
"kathleen syson" writes:
| How do you know they're Queens? (meant to be serious) I expected to see them
| starting to fly in August as usual; but they started scuttling around like
| mad last week and then they were flying like a black cloud. Are they all
| Queens?

No, many of them will be Princes :-)

The forms of ants that fly are the sexual ones. They mate, the
females then attempt to form new nests, and the males die.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 30-07-2004 08:24 AM

ANTS!!!!!