Old 28-07-2004, 07:05 PM
paul bonner

Default Greengages

Help Please

I have a very good crop of greengages coming along. One tree with lot of
billiard ball size fruits.
The problem is that if I leave them on the tree until they are fully ripe
the wasps will get them all.
Can I Pick them just before they are ripe,store them in a cool fridge an get
a few out to ripen as I want them

Thanks

Paul

Old 30-07-2004, 09:49 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"paul bonner" wrote in message
Help Please

I have a very good crop of greengages coming along. One tree with lot of
billiard ball size fruits.
The problem is that if I leave them on the tree until they are fully ripe
the wasps will get them all.
Can I Pick them just before they are ripe,store them in a cool fridge an

get
a few out to ripen as I want them

Should probably work - it takes a while to judge when they are nearly ripe
but not quite wasp fodder.

We only get a small crop so storing them isn't a problem, but we pick them
before they are quite ripe and then they ripen O.K. off the tree. Can't
leave them too long or the start to go wrinkly.

I have had some success with storing apples in a fridge (small groups in
plastic bags to prevent them drying out and to avoid the bad apple/barrel
syndrome) so this might work for greengages.

If they didn't ripen they would still probably make a very good jam :-)

HTH
Dave R

Old 30-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Magwitch

paul bonner muttered:

Help Please

I have a very good crop of greengages coming along. One tree with lot of
billiard ball size fruits.
The problem is that if I leave them on the tree until they are fully ripe
the wasps will get them all.
Can I Pick them just before they are ripe,store them in a cool fridge an get
a few out to ripen as I want them

Thanks

Paul

I haven't done this with our greengages. I'd have thought a better idea is
to harvest the lot when just a few are going golden or ripe and and freeze
them then as the rest on the tree will not be far behind the obviously ripe
ones.

Greengages Pete C[_2_] United Kingdom 4 05-08-2013 09:32 AM
greengages? Geoffreykensharp United Kingdom 5 26-08-2004 12:24 AM
greengages? Geoffreykensharp United Kingdom 5 25-08-2004 09:44 PM
Greengages paul bonner United Kingdom 0 28-07-2004 06:48 PM