GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ivy or similar for N facing wall (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80481-ivy-similar-n-facing-wall.html)

Neale 28-07-2004 07:09 PM

Ivy or similar for N facing wall

I want a (moderately) vigorous climber for a north facing, painted brick
wall. The bricks and mortar are very hard, and a lot of things have
struggled to self-cling. Any suggestions of what would suit would be
gratefully received.

JennyC 28-07-2004 08:28 PM

"Neale" wrote in message
I want a (moderately) vigorous climber for a north facing, painted brick
wall. The bricks and mortar are very hard, and a lot of things have
struggled to self-cling. Any suggestions of what would suit would be
gratefully received.

Ivy would indeed be a good choice. there are tons to choose from :~)

The ultimate IVY site:
http://www.eastcheam.co.uk/

Jenny

Aardvark 28-07-2004 08:57 PM

Ivy or similar for N facing wall

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:09:23 +0100, "Neale"
wrote:

I want a (moderately) vigorous climber for a north facing, painted brick
wall. The bricks and mortar are very hard, and a lot of things have
struggled to self-cling. Any suggestions of what would suit would be
gratefully received.

You could try drilling some holes, then fit eyes, and run wires
between the eyes.

It will increase your choices.

Martin Brown 29-07-2004 08:57 AM

Ivy or similar for N facing wall

In message , Neale
writes
I want a (moderately) vigorous climber for a north facing, painted brick
wall. The bricks and mortar are very hard, and a lot of things have
struggled to self-cling. Any suggestions of what would suit would be
gratefully received.

Hydrangea petiolaris looks good and likes these conditions if you are
reasonably patient. It takes a few years to get going though.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Mike Lyle 29-07-2004 11:20 AM

"JennyC" wrote in message ...
"Neale" wrote in message
I want a (moderately) vigorous climber for a north facing, painted brick
wall. The bricks and mortar are very hard, and a lot of things have
struggled to self-cling. Any suggestions of what would suit would be
gratefully received.

Ivy would indeed be a good choice. there are tons to choose from :~)

The ultimate IVY site:
http://www.eastcheam.co.uk/

I love ivies; but I wouldn't have one anywhere near woodwork or a
roof. I've seen quite serious damage caused by it growing into cracks
and between slates, and being allowed to cover a barge-board so
thoroughly that it reduced air-circulation and let rot take hold.

If you will ever need to repaint the wall, any self-clinging climber
will leave a mess when you rip it off, and I reckon ivy's the worst.

Hydrangea petiolaris, perhaps?

I've never actually done it, but people talk of trellises hinged at
the bottom with turnbuckles at the top so you can gently swing them
away from the wall for painting without hurting your clematis or
whatever. I have slight doubts about this in practice, but it seems a
good idea.

Mike.