GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Courgette curiosity (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80547-courgette-curiosity.html)

Max Wright 29-07-2004 11:39 AM

Courgette curiosity

This year one of my courgette plants (rondo di nizza) is producing
hermaphroditic flowers as well as normal male and female ones. They're
growing on male-type stalks but have a green partly developed fruitlet
at the base. Inside the flower both male and female "bits" seem to be
present, the former straddling the latter. Unfortunately the flowers
behave like the males they basically are and drop off two or three days
after opening.

There's a post-mortem photo (32K ) at

http://www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/garden/29jul003a.jpg

Has anyone else seen this? It's more than a little reminiscent of
Trevor Appleton's mutant sweet corn (this ng, 27/7/04).

I should have known what Googling "hermaphrodite courgette" would
produce!
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Robert 31-07-2004 07:57 AM

Courgette curiosity

Max Wright : There's a post-mortem photo
(32K ) at
:
: http://www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/garden/29jul003a.jpg
:
: Has anyone else seen this? It's more than a little reminiscent of
: Trevor Appleton's mutant sweet corn (this ng, 27/7/04).
:
: I should have known what Googling "hermaphrodite courgette" would
: produce!

Very interesting but .... no