Old 29-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Sally Thompson

Default Growing cherries from stones

Having just finished a yummy bag of cherries, I wondered if it would
be possible to grow a cherry tree (or two) from the stones. Has
anyone tried this with success? We have an unheated greenhouse, if
that helps.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 29-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Dwayne

Just lay them in your compost pile and cover them up with compost. Next
year some should come up as trees and you transplant them in the spring.
They will probably not be the same cherries as you bought, but they will be
edible.

Dwayne

Old 29-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:51:11 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
Having just finished a yummy bag of cherries, I wondered if it would
be possible to grow a cherry tree (or two) from the stones. Has
anyone tried this with success? We have an unheated greenhouse, if
that helps.

Just lay them in your compost pile and cover them up with compost. Next
year some should come up as trees and you transplant them in the spring.
They will probably not be the same cherries as you bought, but they will be
edible.

OK, thanks Dwayne. I hadn't thought of putting them in the compost
heap. Won't it get too hot?

Old 30-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Dwayne

I don't know what the trick is, but once our Pastor bought a bushel of
peaches, canned them and put the pits into the compost pile. He gave me
about 20 trees the next year to plant and give away.

After a few years we started getting peaches from the trees. They had
reverted back to the type of tree that had been he root stock from the
peaches he had bought, but that was nice. One tree would ripen and a week
later the other one would. It gave us time to process the fruit rather than
having it all at once. The fruit was very good.

Old 30-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Kay

In article , Dwayne
writes
I don't know what the trick is, but once our Pastor bought a bushel of
peaches, canned them and put the pits into the compost pile. He gave me
about 20 trees the next year to plant and give away.

After a few years we started getting peaches from the trees. They had
reverted back to the type of tree that had been he root stock from the
peaches he had bought, but that was nice.

The tree you got from the seed would quite probably not bear the same
fruit as was planted, since you would get the variation inherent in any
sexual reproduction, but there is no mechanism whereby the seed produced
would give rise to the same type of tree as the rootstock except by
coincidence - for example, pears are commonly grafted on to quince, but
there's no way planting a pip from the pear would give a quince tree.

btw - please don't top post - it messes up the threads in a ng like this
one where the convention is to bottom post

Old 30-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Mike Lyle

"Dwayne" wrote in message ...

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
Having just finished a yummy bag of cherries, I wondered if it would
be possible to grow a cherry tree (or two) from the stones. Has
anyone tried this with success? We have an unheated greenhouse, if
that helps.

Just lay them in your compost pile and cover them up with compost. Next
year some should come up as trees and you transplant them in the spring.
They will probably not be the same cherries as you bought, but they will be
edible.

(Posting order re-arranged.)

But will they be fleshy enough to bother with? Wild cherries aren't,
and that may be what you'll end up with. The reason I mention this is
that while growing trees to fruiting maturity from pips is great fun,
if you haven't got an acre or two of ground and ten years to spare,
it's probably better simply to buy a tree of a recognized variety
known to do well in your area.

Peaches are noted for coming pretty well from seed; but I just don't
know about cherries. I know all too well what it is to be desperate to
do gardening and sometimes not have the money even for a packet of
seed, and you can have wonderful fun within those limits*; but if
twenty quid or so is there, and you want a fruit tree, it's the best
way. You won't end up behind the rich guy if you can only put in one a
year, and you may give your trees better love and care and so end up
ahead of him.

*(actually *more* fun, looking back, because of the sense of
achievement -- those wildflower seeds and scrounged or nicked cuttings
gave the best plants ever! Anybody who won't give a polite stranger a
cutting or a few seeds is no gardener, so you should never be shy
about asking.)

Mike.
Old 30-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:29:46 GMT, (Sally
Thompson) wrote:

Having just finished a yummy bag of cherries, I wondered if it

would
be possible to grow a cherry tree (or two) from the stones. Has
anyone tried this with success?

I have a cherry that I grew from a pip about 20 years ago. It is
still in a pot, roughly bonsai-ed, so not very big. It has fruited
each year for some years now, and the fruit are tasty, though

usually
only about a dozen and the birds get them before I do. It is self
fertile as there are no other cherry trees around.
I have had peach stones germinate in the compost bin, but never
cherries. You need to keep them protected from mice. I would sow
them in a pot of sand, with wire mesh over, in the greenhouse and

see
what happens.... and be patient.
Good luck

As a child in South Africa, my parents had a house with a small
orchard of peaches, plums and apricots. One of the chores by which I
earned pocket money was to weed the orchard. The weeds were mostly
peach and apricot seedlings from the pips we threw on the ground when
feasting on the fruit from the trees.

Another small town where I was at school was in a fruit growing
district. Peaches and cherries had no local value, except at the
railway station. Passengers would buy fruit at the station and eat it
as the train drew out. The result was rows of peach and cherry trees
on either side of the line, stretching for a few miles in both
directions. The crop from that was enough for the needs of the
townsfolk.

Franz