Old 30-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Mark Blewett

Default Window sill gardening

On 30 Jul 2004 20:16:24 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Mark Blewett wrote:

What sort of size are the smaller (dwarf/patio) varities? BTW the
windows about 8" square and the room is approx 11" high... a
reasonable sized space. Apart from whether it would be a good
environment for peaches, anything grown is going to have direct
sunlight on one side only.. thinking about it probably not best for a
tree.. perhaps something less tree/bush like would be better.. a vine
perhaps, which could be trained around the window.. and still leave
space for the tomato's in the window sill.

Do you REALLY mean that the room is eleven inches high?

*blush*... I mean 11 feet.

If you mean feet, then you have a fair amount of space. I would NOT
recommend a peach, as they are tricky. My Feijoa has flowered for
the first time, and I am overjoyed to find that the (very decorative
and edible) flowers are SWEET! As it also has attractive leaves,
and is drought resistant, you might like to try it.

I must admit I've never heard of Feijoa. Doing a quick search
(
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html) seems kind of interesting.

But the real question is how hot you keep that room, how much
ventilation it gets and how much sun it gets.

During the summer its a very hot room.. I haven't tracked the temp..
but currently it 28c (21:50 Fri eve).. and thats with the sash windows
open most of today (normally they are fully open when I home, and
closed when I'm not).

During winter it's a more sensible temperature... but I've never
needed to turn the central heating on in the room.. it's normally 15c+
(maybe a bit less during the night)

Sunwise its facing almost exactly south.. there's some trees/bushes
outside to the west, so there's less direct sunlight in the eveing.

I have a kaffir lime
(again from seed, bought as a fruit in Leicester Square, and the
leaves are used in Thai cooking), and can strongly recommend it.

I've just started trying to cook Thai/Malay dishes.. how easy are they
to graw?

But citrus don't like overheated or dark conditions.

No chance of dark conditions!.. overheated possibly.

Thanks
Mark
Old 30-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mark Blewett" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:31:12 +0100, bigboard
wrote:

Mark Blewett wrote:

I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large

south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad

leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food

and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a

part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good

choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

Thanks for any ideas and thoughts would really be appreciated.

Regards
Mark
(An enthusiastic newbee!)

I don't know how big your growing area is, but I'd have thought a

peach tree
would be a bit big.

What sort of size are the smaller (dwarf/patio) varities? BTW the
windows about 8" square and the room is approx 11" high... a
reasonable sized space.

It sounds slightly larger than Queen Mary's doll's house. ( Or was it
Queen Victoria's?) {:-))

Franz

Old 31-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Kay

In article , Mark Blewett
writes
I did try to germinate a few seeds last year (from a shop bought
lemon), without success.. any tips?

Just drop pips into any pots you have around and forget about them -
sooner or later one of them will germinate. Watched pips never grow ;-)
--
Kay

Old 31-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Kay

In article , Mark Blewett
writes

Yes I do have a very big window (8" x 8").. and love figs. I'll
definetly have to investigate this idea! Have you any experience in
varieties?

No. I have a Brown Turkey, which is the most commonly grown in the UK,
and I find its fruits richer and more luscious than the dark blue figs
in the shops. Try Reads Nursery - they have an informative web site,
and I'm pretty sure they do figs.

Strawberries.. a stunning idea.. one which I haven't though of.. it's
now on my to do list. Thanks!

Not fruit, but okra are fun indoors if you haven't tried them yet.

I have to say I'm not a fan of okra.. in fact although I'll eat
anything they are below broad beans in my book of nice things to eat!

They're below broad beans in my book, too, but that places them about
third ;-)
--
Kay

Old 31-07-2004, 01:30 AM
Mark Blewett

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:33:29 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Mark Blewett wrote:

[...]

I'm feeling really embarrassed now ) .. the only excuse I can offer
is that as a software engineer I use " key rather more often than the
' key... so when the brain thinks quotes.. the fingers follow (and
sometimes not as the case maybe!)

Regards
Mark

Old 31-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Mark Blewett

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:30:29 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Mark Blewett
writes
I did try to germinate a few seeds last year (from a shop bought
lemon), without success.. any tips?

Just drop pips into any pots you have around and forget about them -
sooner or later one of them will germinate. Watched pips never grow ;-)

How long should I forget about them?

Old 31-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Mark Blewett

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:34:38 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Mark Blewett
writes

Yes I do have a very big window (8" x 8").. and love figs. I'll
definetly have to investigate this idea! Have you any experience in
varieties?

No. I have a Brown Turkey, which is the most commonly grown in the UK,
and I find its fruits richer and more luscious than the dark blue figs
in the shops. Try Reads Nursery - they have an informative web site,
and I'm pretty sure they do figs.

Thanks.. just having a gander now.

Strawberries.. a stunning idea.. one which I haven't though of.. it's
now on my to do list. Thanks!

Not fruit, but okra are fun indoors if you haven't tried them yet.

I have to say I'm not a fan of okra.. in fact although I'll eat
anything they are below broad beans in my book of nice things to eat!

They're below broad beans in my book, too, but that places them about
third ;-)

So whats the other?

Old 31-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Mark

Blewett
writes
I did try to germinate a few seeds last year (from a shop bought
lemon), without success.. any tips?

Just drop pips into any pots you have around and forget about them -
sooner or later one of them will germinate. Watched pips never grow

;-)

I've lost my "pip book". That comes from showing it to friends. I
have forgotten the name of the author and the publisherand would
appreciate it if any urgler would let me have the information, as I
would like to hunt for a replacement copy.

Franz

Not a window sill plant! - Aranda_Floraweb (1/1) Gene Schurg[_2_] Orchid Photos 4 12-06-2008 06:03 AM
water on window sill mo Lawns 1 29-10-2006 03:03 PM
[IBC] Window sill extender? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 25-03-2003 07:32 PM
Window sill extender? Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 24-03-2003 08:32 PM
was Bulb. Vaginatum now Humidity in the Window Sill Dave Sheehy Orchids 2 11-03-2003 08:57 PM