Old 30-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Mark Blewett

Default Window sill gardening

I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

Thanks for any ideas and thoughts would really be appreciated.

Regards
Mark
(An enthusiastic newbee!)

Old 30-07-2004, 10:31 AM
bigboard

Mark Blewett wrote:

I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

Thanks for any ideas and thoughts would really be appreciated.

Regards
Mark
(An enthusiastic newbee!)

I don't know how big your growing area is, but I'd have thought a peach tree
would be a bit big. What about some of the small citrus trees you can buy?
Fresh lemons would be very nice in the kitchen.

--
I have a simple philosophy:

Fill what's empty.
Empty what's full.
Scratch where it itches.
-- A. R. Longworth

Old 30-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Mike Lyle

Mark Blewett wrote in message . ..
I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

I confess to a prejudice against "patio" midgets, so I may be biased.
Off-hand, I'd say that one of those fruit-trees would need light from
overhead, not just through a south window, however large. There would
also be a problem of air-circulation: still air encourages pests and
diseases. I don't know how much it matters for all trees (peach
probably ok; and they used to grow oranges here in very much that
way), but they wouldn't get a proper period of winter dormancy in the
house.

Annual crops such as you're growing already are in any case a much
more profitable use of the space, as you get a big return, and get it
from the very first year, and can try different varieties.

Mike.
Old 30-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Kay

In article , Mark Blewett
writes
I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

You could try strawberries (no slugs to contend with) or, if your window
is really big, a fig.

Not fruit, but okra are fun indoors if you haven't tried them yet.
--
Kay

Old 30-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Mark Blewett

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:31:12 +0100, bigboard
wrote:

Mark Blewett wrote:

[...]

What sort of size are the smaller (dwarf/patio) varities? BTW the
windows about 8" square and the room is approx 11" high... a
reasonable sized space. Apart from whether it would be a good
environment for peaches, anything grown is going to have direct
sunlight on one side only.. thinking about it probably not best for a
tree.. perhaps something less tree/bush like would be better.. a vine
perhaps, which could be trained around the window.. and still leave
space for the tomato's in the window sill.

What about some of the small citrus trees you can buy?
Fresh lemons would be very nice in the kitchen.

I did try to germinate a few seeds last year (from a shop bought
lemon), without success.. any tips? Has anyone tried these small
citrus trees? What varieties should I look at?

Thanks
Mark

Old 30-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Mark Blewett

On 30 Jul 2004 02:46:06 -0700, (Mike Lyle)
wrote:

[...]

Thanks... sounds like its not a realistic option The things that
bothered me were size, enviroment etc... I hadn't thought of the light
issue.

Annual crops such as you're growing already are in any case a much
more profitable use of the space, as you get a big return, and get it
from the very first year, and can try different varieties.

Yeah.. that's the reason I started with them.. easy and quick to
grow.. and for the herbs so much cheaper than buying them at a
supermarket.. and as far as the tomarto's.. there is nothing better
than home grown.

I think I've reached the stage where I'd like something more long
term... I don't mind waiting a few years for a crop.. the trouble is I
don't have the knowledge.. and if you have to wait a few years for the
reward, it worth at least trying to start with the right direction..
which means having some knowledge.. I'm having a bit of a circular
argument with myself at the moment!

Thanks
Mark

Old 30-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Mark Blewett

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:09:25 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Mark Blewett
writes
I'm a relatively newcomer to gardening.. and looking for some
ideas/thoughts for someone who has no garden.. just 2 very large south
facing windows.

Over the last couple of years, I've grown in pots: various herbs,
tomato's, chillies and even had a go at some salad leaves/radishes
with mix success. As you may well already guessed.. I like food and
cooking and hence prefer to grow something that is edible!

Onto the question... in uk.food+drink.misc there was a part-thread
about peaches (and patio variaties).. which got me thinking (ok
hoping).. could these grow indoors? If not what would be a good choice
fruit for growing indoors in a pot?

You could try strawberries (no slugs to contend with) or, if your window
is really big, a fig.

Thanks Kay... a couple of very interesting ideas!

Yes I do have a very big window (8" x 8").. and love figs. I'll
definetly have to investigate this idea! Have you any experience in
varieties?

Strawberries.. a stunning idea.. one which I haven't though of.. it's
now on my to do list. Thanks!

Not fruit, but okra are fun indoors if you haven't tried them yet.

I have to say I'm not a fan of okra.. in fact although I'll eat
anything they are below broad beans in my book of nice things to eat!

Thanks
Mark

Old 30-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Mark Blewett

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:09:25 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Mark Blewett
writes

Old 30-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mark Blewett wrote:

What sort of size are the smaller (dwarf/patio) varities? BTW the
windows about 8" square and the room is approx 11" high... a
reasonable sized space. Apart from whether it would be a good
environment for peaches, anything grown is going to have direct
sunlight on one side only.. thinking about it probably not best for a
tree.. perhaps something less tree/bush like would be better.. a vine
perhaps, which could be trained around the window.. and still leave
space for the tomato's in the window sill.

Do you REALLY mean that the room is eleven inches high?

If you mean feet, then you have a fair amount of space. I would NOT
recommend a peach, as they are tricky. My Feijoa has flowered for
the first time, and I am overjoyed to find that the (very decorative
and edible) flowers are SWEET! As it also has attractive leaves,
and is drought resistant, you might like to try it.

But the real question is how hot you keep that room, how much
ventilation it gets and how much sun it gets. I have a kaffir lime
(again from seed, bought as a fruit in Leicester Square, and the
leaves are used in Thai cooking), and can strongly recommend it.
But citrus don't like overheated or dark conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Mark Blewett

On 30 Jul 2004 20:16:24 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Mark Blewett wrote:

What sort of size are the smaller (dwarf/patio) varities? BTW the
windows about 8" square and the room is approx 11" high... a
reasonable sized space. Apart from whether it would be a good
environment for peaches, anything grown is going to have direct
sunlight on one side only.. thinking about it probably not best for a
tree.. perhaps something less tree/bush like would be better.. a vine
perhaps, which could be trained around the window.. and still leave
space for the tomato's in the window sill.

Do you REALLY mean that the room is eleven inches high?

*blush*... I mean 11 feet.

If you mean feet, then you have a fair amount of space. I would NOT
recommend a peach, as they are tricky. My Feijoa has flowered for
the first time, and I am overjoyed to find that the (very decorative
and edible) flowers are SWEET! As it also has attractive leaves,
and is drought resistant, you might like to try it.

I must admit I've never heard of Feijoa. Doing a quick search
(
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html) seems kind of interesting.

But the real question is how hot you keep that room, how much
ventilation it gets and how much sun it gets.

During the summer its a very hot room.. I haven't tracked the temp..
but currently it 28c (21:50 Fri eve).. and thats with the sash windows
open most of today (normally they are fully open when I home, and
closed when I'm not).

During winter it's a more sensible temperature... but I've never
needed to turn the central heating on in the room.. it's normally 15c+
(maybe a bit less during the night)

Sunwise its facing almost exactly south.. there's some trees/bushes
outside to the west, so there's less direct sunlight in the eveing.

I have a kaffir lime
(again from seed, bought as a fruit in Leicester Square, and the
leaves are used in Thai cooking), and can strongly recommend it.

I've just started trying to cook Thai/Malay dishes.. how easy are they
to graw?

But citrus don't like overheated or dark conditions.

No chance of dark conditions!.. overheated possibly.

Thanks
Mark

Not a window sill plant! - Aranda_Floraweb (1/1) Gene Schurg[_2_] Orchid Photos 4 12-06-2008 05:03 AM
water on window sill mo Lawns 1 29-10-2006 02:03 PM
[IBC] Window sill extender? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 25-03-2003 06:32 PM
Window sill extender? Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 24-03-2003 07:32 PM
was Bulb. Vaginatum now Humidity in the Window Sill Dave Sheehy Orchids 2 11-03-2003 07:57 PM