GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulb Fennel - when to harvest? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80723-bulb-fennel-when-harvest.html)

Sarah Dale 31-07-2004 12:32 PM

Bulb Fennel - when to harvest?

Hi All,

I'm growing bulb fennel for the first time this year. The largest plants are
now approaching 3 to 4" diameter and 2ft tall - no signs of flowering (do
they?) - when should I harvest?

TIA,

Sarah

Cumberpach 03-08-2004 09:36 PM

Bulb Fennel - when to harvest?

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm growing bulb fennel for the first time this year. The largest plants

are now approaching 3 to 4" diameter and 2ft tall - no signs of flowering
(do they?) - when should I harvest?

I have just lifted my first at 3.5 " diameter (variety Di Fireze). They will
produce flower when they 'run to seed' but that shouldn't happen for a least
a month or two. BTW have you tried braising them - makes a nice change from
the usual quick stir-fry.

Pete