Old 05-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Bigus

Default WAsps, wasps and more wasps

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Bigus" wrote in message
"atwifa" wrote in message

if you really want to defend your
crops, then any number of physical (and chemical) deterrents are

readily
available.

speaking of deterrents, are there any good ones that don't involve

using
chemicals?

What is it that you want to deter?
Playing the bagpipes might deter some unwanted visitors..

I'm not sure that would go down too well with the neighbours, but if I get
desparate I might try it ;-)

Old 05-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Broadback

Tom Warner wrote:

I can't say I have noticed this. Our raspberrys have been picked without
hinderance, our apples are ripening nicely, we will soon be picking
un-wasped damsons and our (very small) peach tree has given us three perfect
peaches.
In case you are wondering, we are totally organic, spray nothing and let
wasps go about their business as far as possible.
Perhaps the problem is just local to you?
best wishes
Tom (S/W Essex)

Thanks all for your replies, all interesting, though naturally I
cannot agree with everyone. The jam jar wasp trap would not be
practical, there are just too many wasps. I suspect part of the problem
is that I am away a few days every week and the raspberries have not
been picked, thus over ripening.

I am organic, though if I see a wasp nest "in the way" I would have it
destroyed, since having multiple stings a few years ago I have become
very sensitive to their stings.

The apple tree from which they have eaten all the apples is a three year
old discovery, and I was looking forward to my first taste! Next year
maybe! It has been a good year here for fruit, but I guess what nature
gives she can take away. :-(

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:56 PM
The Reids

Following up to Victoria Clare

they have taken virtually all my raspberries. What control method
would you recommend?

Are you sure this was wasps? The birds had most of mine, though usually
they are not that keen on rasps.

Yes, they are there attacking them, makes it dangerous to pick.
Previous years nothing has touched them.
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:56 PM
The Reids

Following up to Rodger Whitlock

Add wolves, and the trees start to regenerate after the
herbivores themselves are chomped. Who would have foreseen this?

The Lake District and Scottish Highlands only look as they do
because they are overgrazed by sheep and deer.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:06 PM
The Reids

Following up to Magwitch

We have a wasp nest under the thatch of the porch, I decided to let it be
and so far have had virtually no houseflies in the house,

how did you get on eating in the garden?

Old 06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Magwitch

David Hill muttered:

If the wasps are not bothering me and mine then live and let live,
About 4 years ago we had a beautiful wasps nest in a large Viburnam Placatum
.. it was out of the way so it stayed.

We have a wasp nest under the thatch of the porch, I decided to let it be
and so far have had virtually no houseflies in the house, whereas in
previous years they'd be everywhere... together with the almost plague
proportions of hover flies that have eaten all the aphids, they've done a
great job.

Old 06-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...

[...]
criticism of other
peoples' use of context and editing technique

Yes. I am a mere mortal. I do tend to under-edit others'
contributions and I am the world's champion typomaker.

I don't understand the problem with attributions: I use Google Groups,
which isn't even _intended_ as a newsreader, but it does the
attributions automatically. Surely OE does, too?

Mike.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote

in
message ...

[...]
criticism of other
peoples' use of context and editing technique

Yes. I am a mere mortal. I do tend to under-edit others'
contributions and I am the world's champion typomaker.

I don't understand the problem with attributions: I use Google

Groups,
which isn't even _intended_ as a newsreader, but it does the
attributions automatically. Surely OE does, too?

Yes. It does. I use OE.

Franz

Old 07-08-2004, 12:56 AM
David Hill

Default WAsps, wasps and more wasps..... back on subject

Tonight I've had to get rid of my 2nd nest of the year, this was/is in the
corner of the packing /machinery shed, and the entrance to the nest is only
about 4ft from the path to the cloths line and 10ft from the line itself, so
it has to go.
Had to use step ladder to get to its height, but dusted it tonight after
dark, when there is no activity.
It's strange, I haven't had to remove any nests for the last 2 years, and 2
already this year.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Sacha

On 6/8/04 23:56, in article , "David Hill"
wrote:

Tonight I've had to get rid of my 2nd nest of the year, this was/is in the
corner of the packing /machinery shed, and the entrance to the nest is only
about 4ft from the path to the cloths line and 10ft from the line itself, so
it has to go.
Had to use step ladder to get to its height, but dusted it tonight after
dark, when there is no activity.
It's strange, I haven't had to remove any nests for the last 2 years, and 2
already this year.

There was something in one of the papers today about wasps being a bit of a
plague this year. Perhaps it's the result of a long hot end to last summer
and a comparatively mild winter.
I think we have more about just now. We took our glasses of wine onto the
big lawn tonight to let the dogs romp about and had plenty of wasps flying
around in an over-excited fashion.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk