Old 03-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

Default Dog friendly plant that will tolerate shade and damp conditions ?

In my garden I have a concrete "patio" section next to the house. On the
edge of this and next door's border fence there is a patch of muck, about a
foot thick and two foot long. I'm not sure how deep it is but fairly deep I
think as the neighbor has a bed on her side of the fence and I think it is
actually part of that that crept under her fence before I got here. It is in
permanent shade and gets soaked quite frequently as I wash the concrete down
regularly (due to dog pee-pee) and am often inaccurate with where I spray
the hose.
At the moment a couple of concrete blocks cover this muck as I had a spaniel
who loved to roll in this muddy bit (now rehomed - due to other issues I
hasten to add, not because of that. ;-) )
Now she is with her new mum I am wondering if I can plant something in this
earth now it won't get either dug up or rolled on, cos the blocks look
terrible. I could concrete it in I guess but I'd rather have a plant.
Whatever it is has to be dog friendly (as my two will no doubt have a munch
on it), tolerate shade and not mind getting abit wet now and then. It could
grow quite tall if it wanted - where it would eventually get some sun if it
reached the height of the fence - and bush out a liddle bit but not too
much. So far I've considered cress and mustard mix. ;-) Edible to all is
prefered but non toxic to dogs and suitable for the conditions is the main
thing.

Any ideas ? TIA for any advice.

Rachael

Old 03-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Dave

I have a Laurel in a dark & damp place that gets regularly sprayed by the
local tomcat. These conditions appear to have no effect on its growth & it
looks perfectly healthy. In fact it is the only plant that has thrived in
this particular place.

Not sure if it is toxic or not though, my cat prefers to chew my lawn......

Old 03-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Spider

Dave none wrote in message
I have a Laurel in a dark & damp place that gets regularly sprayed by the
local tomcat. These conditions appear to have no effect on its growth & it
looks perfectly healthy. In fact it is the only plant that has thrived in
this particular place.

Not sure if it is toxic or not though, my cat prefers to chew my

lawn......

If this is a Prunus-type laurel, such as Cherry or Portugese Laurel, it is
deadly poisonous! Not really dog-friendly.
Spider

Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 PM

"Spider" wrote in message

Dave none wrote in message
I have a Laurel in a dark & damp place that gets regularly sprayed by

the
local tomcat. These conditions appear to have no effect on its growth &

it
looks perfectly healthy. In fact it is the only plant that has thrived

in
this particular place.

Not sure if it is toxic or not though, my cat prefers to chew my

lawn......

If this is a Prunus-type laurel, such as Cherry or Portugese Laurel, it is
deadly poisonous! Not really dog-friendly.
Spider

I would agree. I have some laurels as a border in the fenced off garden and
as far as I knew, laurels are all pretty nasty if eaten, so that one is
indeed a non starter

Rachael

Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message

Wetland Ferns ??

Can you buy 'em ? I'll consider anything !

Rachael

Old 12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat

"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote in message

"Jimbo" (remove $ ) wrote in message

Wetland Ferns ??

Can you buy 'em ? I'll consider anything !

To follow up my own post -- I went for mints in the end as they are dog safe
and apparently like shady moist soils (news to me - not done mints before).
Curly Spearmint and a Chocolate Mint (more in colour than to imply it smells
like After Eights I think ;-) ) The soil in there was clay-y - so I found
when digging the holes - but so far both plants are thriving and the choccy
mint is already starting to spread out alittle. And the dogs like to give
them only a passing nibble (which makes their breath smell nice anyway).

Thanks for the ideas anyway folks.

Rachael

Old 12-08-2004, 09:07 PM
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY

"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote in message
To follow up my own post -- I went for mints in the end as they are dog

safe
and apparently like shady moist soils (news to me - not done mints

before).
Curly Spearmint and a Chocolate Mint (more in colour than to imply it

smells
like After Eights I think ;-) ) The soil in there was clay-y - so I found
when digging the holes - but so far both plants are thriving and the

choccy
mint is already starting to spread out alittle. And the dogs like to give
them only a passing nibble (which makes their breath smell nice anyway).

Thanks for the ideas anyway folks.

Oh I love mints. Look for pineapple mint and apple mint too, and black
mint. I also have heavy clay.

Old 13-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Robert Harvey

GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY wrote:
Oh I love mints.

I used to like those strong ones sold in little tins... Oh, sorry.
Old 14-08-2004, 12:11 AM

"Robert Harvey" wrote in message
GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY wrote:
Oh I love mints.

I used to like those strong ones sold in little tins... Oh, sorry.

Can't stand 'em, but you know what they recommend one does with Trebor mints
.... well, I didn't like 'em to start with but after that, even less so. ;-)

Rachael

Old 14-08-2004, 12:15 AM

"GOOD GOLLY MISS mOLLY" wrote in message

"Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat" wrote in message

mints

Thanks for the ideas anyway folks.

Oh I love mints. Look for pineapple mint and apple mint too, and black
mint. I also have heavy clay.

I saw some pineapple mint but I didn't like the smell of it - but the apple
mint; it was a close run thing with that one and the choccy mint.

I had one growing in the garden already (when I moved in) which I split and
transplanted to a pot - looks abit like curly spearmint, not so curly (doh
!), and has white flowers, and smells very fruity. Yummy.

Can I assume that the thriving conditions of my mints in the clay soil will
continue, would you say in your experience ? I keep looking at them fearing
one day they might have died in the night or something ...

Rachael