Old 03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Sue S

Default Prickley Cucumbers

My cucumbers have got prickles, am I right in thinking that this is the
plants way of protecting it's fruit and as they grow, they iron themselves
out? Or do I have dodgy fruit?

thanks

--
Kind regards

Sue

Old 03-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Matthew Durkin

"Sue S" wrote in message
My cucumbers have got prickles, am I right in thinking that this is the
plants way of protecting it's fruit and as they grow, they iron themselves
out? Or do I have dodgy fruit?

thanks

--
Kind regards

Sue

you have a prickly variety! There are many different types of cucumber and
some are quiet prickly. Don't worry it's quite normal! I have grown some
that were prickly once - perfectly tasty though! I actually bought some
quite prickly ones in Portugal a few weeks ago. Perhaps it's just us brits
that like them smooth. It does make one think of the BFG... what was it?
Snozcumber?
:O)

Old 03-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sue S" wrote ...
My cucumbers have got prickles, am I right in thinking that this is the
plants way of protecting it's fruit and as they grow, they iron themselves
out? Or do I have dodgy fruit?

That's the way some are, we grow the Burpless Tasty Green variety outside on
the allotments and the fruit are very prickly. Just use a cloth to rub the
spines off, any that don't drop off can be knocked off with a thumbnail.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Sue S

The cucumbers I have are Bedfordshire Prize. Are they normally prickly?
(not done them before)

Thanks

Sue

Old 06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Matthew Durkin

"Sue S" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not sure to be honest! If yours have spikes they probably are! I'd just
rub them with a tea towel to take them off when you're ready to eat them...

Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 23:20:51 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Sue S" wrote ...
My cucumbers have got prickles, am I right in thinking that this is the
plants way of protecting it's fruit and as they grow, they iron themselves
out? Or do I have dodgy fruit?

That's the way some are, we grow the Burpless Tasty Green variety outside on
the allotments and the fruit are very prickly. Just use a cloth to rub the
spines off, any that don't drop off can be knocked off with a thumbnail.

You might have a throwback to a wilder variety?
As an aside; in Austria at least, all the varieties I've seen have prickly
fruit. They don't lose the prickles, so just brush them off in the grass
when you pick them.
--
Tim C.