Old 05-08-2004, 06:18 PM
JennyC

Default RHS refund - Hampton Court

Came across this and thought it might interest the people who were there while
the storm hit.

RHS backs down on refunds to disappointed show-goers
By Matthew Appleby
The Royal Horticultural Society has bowed to pressure from Hampton Court show
visitors.
The Hampton Court flower show was weather-hit on 7 July and the RHS was forced
to close the show early on one day.
But the society said it would not compensate visitors who had entered the
showground before it closed. Traffic gridlock later upset visitors further. The
weather meant visitor numbers were 173,000 against a projected 185,000.
An RHS statement said: `We would like to apologise for any confusion with regard
to messages about the possibility of re-entry or refund given in the early
stages of this situation.
"Initially, a standard policy was in place, as per the terms and conditions of
the tickets, that no monies would be refunded, in line with the policies of
other major events. However, we recognised the disappointment that the early
closure caused our valued members and visitors to the show and we have reviewed
our position."
RHS representative Kerry Law said: "We are aware of the problem. Visitors and
members were upset, so we have done this for them."
It has been agreed that:
1. All-day ticketholders on 7 July can send stubs to the RHS for "special
rates" at Hampton Court in 2005
2. All ticketholders at 3pm on 7 July will receive a full refund
3. Holders of unused tickets will receive a full refund.
Law added that debriefing meetings would look at further measures to be taken if
storms hit again.
Horticulture Week, 29 July 2004

Jenny

Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM
jane

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 19:18:27 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

~Came across this and thought it might interest the people who were there while
~the storm hit.

Jenny - THANKYOU! I missed this...

I'd gone and thrown out my stubs after the initial retraction of the
refund offer, so just rang the RHS up and pointed this out. They are
quite happy for people to use credit card statement copies (after all,
the prices changed each day so the amount on the statement is
indicative of which day you went) and to write to
Liz Hughes
Head of Shows Administration
Royal Horticultural Society
London
SW1P 2WZ
enclosing a letter with either stubs, unused tickets or the statement
copy. I also put in a windswept photo for good measure!

I'm assuming that you can only get the full refund if you still have
the unused tickets, else how can you prove you didn't use them?

jane

Quote left in in case folk didn't see the original post...

[...]
~
~
~Jenny
~