Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 AM
jane

Default Fruit gluts - recipes and useful sites

I have more soft fruit this year than I quite know what do do with -
even the birds haven't managed to scoff all the berries.
I don't know if it is helpful to others in the same situation but
given the pickling thread earlier this week, I thought I'd post my
reference sites:

Jams, jellies and curds:
http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes/jam.htm
Recipes for dozens of jams etc. Including unusual ones!

For those without many jam jars or who wish to have new lids:
http://www.lakelandlimited.com sell both 1lb and 8oz jars, and
separate lids. The jars are packed separately but so far I've never
dared order them mail order!

Bottling fruit:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5343.html
An excellent site. Remember that a cup of white sugar in US-speak is
8oz over here! (And a cup of water is also 8 fl oz)
This makes their syrup chart

52 fl oz (2pt 12 fl oz) water : 6oz sugar - very light syrup
46 fl oz (2pt 6 fl oz) water : 12oz sugar - light syrup
42 fl oz (2pt 2 fl oz) water : 18oz sugar - medium syrup

This is an great way of preserving things. I tend to do just
gooseberries and rhubarb this way, as it lends itself to large jars
which can be used for instant pie fillings in the winter.

Just as long as you are careful, and wear a) apron b) gloves when
lifting c) preferably safety goggles

I've so far not had a jar explode on me, but I don't want to be maimed
if one does! (I use once-recycled mayo jars usually despite what the
site says.) But I do check the lids very very carefully - any with
even slight dents get rejected. I also usually check the upper
surfaces upon purchase in the supermarket, knowing I'm likely to reuse
them later.

And finally, stick a rinse and return request on jam jars if you give
filled ones to people!!!

Hope this helps folk wondering what to do with too much fruit and
that if anyone else has ways other than freezing, that they'll add to
the thread.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Useful sites Zizz United Kingdom 0 06-11-2003 10:22 PM
Tomatillo Recipes - 1 Pasta Sauce & 2 Salsa Verde EV Edible Gardening 2 07-10-2003 01:27 AM
vegetable juice preservation/recipes? JohnDKestell Edible Gardening 5 13-06-2003 04:56 PM
good hot sauce recipes? Bpyboy Edible Gardening 2 07-06-2003 09:20 PM
CO2 recipes Mike K Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:13 AM