Old 08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Jack Murdoch

Default Amaryllis

I have an amaryllis that I didn't allow to dry out after flowering two years
ago, and has just kept growing new leaves. It has now produced a superb
flower (5 'trumpets' - don't know botanical term).

Is it unusual to have them flower at this time of year, and does cutting the
bulb into segments (like an orange - quarters or eights) really work for
propagation?

Any recommended websites for chapter and verse on amaryllis?

Many thanks. Jack.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Spider

Jack Murdoch wrote in message
I have an amaryllis that I didn't allow to dry out after flowering two

years
ago, and has just kept growing new leaves. It has now produced a superb
flower (5 'trumpets' - don't know botanical term).

Is it unusual to have them flower at this time of year, and does cutting

the
bulb into segments (like an orange - quarters or eights) really work for
propagation?

Any recommended websites for chapter and verse on amaryllis?

Many thanks. Jack.

Hi Jack,
I confess I'm not an expert on amaryllis (I assume you're referring to the
indoor-grown Hippeastrum forms), but there is a well-known expert called
Veronica Read. Try a Google on her name and see what it comes up with.
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Spider

Old 08-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Les &/or Claire

Sacha wrote:
On 8/8/04 13:35, in article , "Jack Murdoch"
wrote:

I have an amaryllis that I didn't allow to dry out after flowering
two years ago, and has just kept growing new leaves. It has now
produced a superb flower (5 'trumpets' - don't know botanical term).

Is it unusual to have them flower at this time of year, and does
cutting the bulb into segments (like an orange - quarters or eights)
really work for propagation?

Any recommended websites for chapter and verse on amaryllis?

Ours has flowered for the second time. Probably it's not quite as
floriferous as earlier this year but it's pretty good! It was a
present to my stepson who hasn't tried to propagate it, so can't help
you there. It's in a 5l.pot and if anything, is a bit potbound so
perhaps that's a key to success with them.

Yes, potbound is good. I had one completely fill a very large pot with
daughter bulbs, many of which reached flowering size. Care was easy, water
when first growth appears, feed sparingly (i used baby bio ) don't worry
about it becoming pot bound. Mine in the end was literally a solid mass of
roots. I used to top dress it occasionally with multi pourpose compost for
aesthetic effect and to help feed the bulbs.
I removed the flower and seed capsule as soon as the flower went past
it's best as i didn't want the bulb to expend energy on seed production.
Although i did let one of the flowers go to seed, many flat papery seeds are
produced and are viable. growing them on for variations on a theme was
interesting too.
never take away the "soggy" limp looking leaves or flower stalk as the bulb
will withdraw the sugars and such back into itself, dry crispy brown leaves
can be removed safely.
I stopped watering once flowering was over, the bulbs then withered the
leaves and the clump remained dormant till the next spring. A bullet proof
bulb, great fun and very showy!

Les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"...Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They
never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people,
and neither do we." - George W Bush

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Getting Amaryllis to flower again Mike Zanker United Kingdom 17 15-02-2004 01:12 PM
amaryllis ? llama mama Gardening 12 22-10-2003 05:02 PM
OT/Amaryllis and snail stuff was Granada is fabulous Radika Kesavan Roses 2 16-05-2003 03:44 PM
Amaryllis..I don't want it to die virginia walters Gardening 0 30-04-2003 07:08 AM
Question Amaryllis Grown in Water [email protected] Gardening 0 18-03-2003 04:20 PM