Old 08-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered User

Question what plants will grow in leylandi soil?

we have 30 leylandi,well established.what flowering plants or shrubs will grow in the soil?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Rhiannon S

Default what plants will grow in leylandi soil?

Subject: what plants will grow in leylandi soil?
From: ambermeta
Date: 08/08/2004 18:17 GMT Daylight Time

we have 30 leylandi,well established.what flowering plants or shrubs
will grow in the soil?

Loads, once you've gotten rid of the leylandii of course.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 08-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Tumbleweed

"ambermeta" wrote in message

we have 30 leylandi,well established.what flowering plants or shrubs
will grow in the soil?

The soil thats left after you dig them up?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Emrys Davies

Would you be more explicit? What soil are you referring to? Is it the
soil within a metre or so of the leylandii trunks?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 AM
ned

"ambermeta" wrote in
message ...

we have 30 leylandi,well established.what flowering plants or shrubs
will grow in the soil?

As you may have found, many 'wild' plants, nettles, bindweed, ivy,
GooseGrass, etc. seem to thrive. 'Escaped' Honesty also appears to
enjoy the shade and provided the soil does not dry out too quickly, I
am sure there are many 'garden plants which would survive happily.

Any vigorous hedge will sap the moisture from its surroundings, but
provided your soil is not too free draining, then you should have no
qualms about trying things out. A lot of South African species survive
in dryish conditions - Geraniums, mesembryanthemums, etc.

Just remember that the hedge needs trimming and you have to consider
how to accommodate that as well as your new border.

Long may you enjoy 'Life with Leylandii'. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 08.08.2004

Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Sacha
writes

we have 30 leylandi,well established.what flowering plants or shrubs
will grow in the soil?

If you mean literally at their feet, the answer is nothing. They take all
the goodness from the ground, they don't replenish it with leaf fall, they
make it excessively dry and eventually, they bush out so much as to take
light from their entire surroundings.

We have a 200 ft. long Leylandii hedge, now about 12 years old and some
30-40 ft.high. It abuts a disused rail trackbed, so it is no problem to
anyone, but it gives us privacy from diverse users of the track. Over
the years a very profuse growth of brambles have developed between the
trees and our boundary, making the hedge quite impenetrable. I snip off
any intrusive bramble stems as they appear on our side of the hedge. I
notice now that quite a variety of self-sowm wildflowers are developing
under the brambles between and around the trees, and with them abundant
wildlife. I keep a mowed walking access at about 2ft. from the trees,
other than that I let nature take its course. A truly environmentally
friendly project.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Sacha

On 10/8/04 18:55, in article , "Alan
Gould" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

If the OP wants a garden full of brambles he's onto a sure thing following
that method. But he asked about flowering plants or shrubs.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 AM
mich

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 10/8/04 18:55, in article , "Alan
Gould" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

I have an established, at least twelve years old, leylandii hedge ( would
love it down but cant see my way clear to doing it right now)
Other than brambles the only thing I have found growing there is dandylion
and a few stunted nettles ( and I mean stunted - about a foot high , in the
rest of the garden nettles are a tryfidd like six feet). The ground is dry,
even when its been raining hard. You cant actually establish anything in
the garden plant category at all, it whithers and dies.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:59 AM
David Hill

mich wrote
"....... Other than brambles the only thing I have found growing there is
dandylion and a few stunted nettles ........."

Have you tried Lamium?
Also you might find that some of the Sedum will grow

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Leylandi swampydrill Gardening 0 24-05-2007 09:15 PM
Leylandi Juco United Kingdom 9 28-06-2004 10:13 PM
Cutting Leylandi Charlie United Kingdom 31 20-04-2003 12:44 AM
in defense of leylandi hayley United Kingdom 7 16-04-2003 10:56 PM
Advice sought on employing tree surgeon to lop Leylandi Simon United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 06:08 PM