GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tamarillo?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/81329-tamarillo.html)

Oxymel of Squill 08-08-2004 10:35 PM

tamarillo??

anyone know anything about these chaps?

I grew one last year in the greenhouse, It has reached the roof and shows no
sign of slowing down. If I chop the top off it will it bush up happily and
thrive?

cheers

Jon

Don Fitch 10-08-2004 08:14 AM

tamarillo??

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote:

snips

I grew one last year in the greenhouse, It has reached
the roof and shows no sign of slowing down. If I chop
the top off it will it bush up happily and thrive?

If it doesn't, you haven't (in my opinion) lost much. I
grew this "Tree Tomato" some years ago, both in a (large)
glasshouse and outdoors (in Southern California). Highly
subject to red-spider mite and white-fly, as I recall, and
the fruit tasted like slightly-acidic wet cardboard.

Don Fitch