Old 10-08-2004, 12:03 AM
DH

Default Which climber?

Hope you don't mind me just jumping in here. I'm a bit new to
gardening and the staff at the local garden centre were not very
helpful.

Can anyone please advise me on what type of climbers will do well in
this situation:

Able to climb without support about 3 metres up a metal pole (about 6
inches wide) in an exposed, north-facing position, ie. pole is a few
inches in front of a wall and the wall is on a balcony ten stories
high!

It has to be hardy, potted, give great scent and look smashing!

If that's not asking too much...?

Ta
DH
Old 10-08-2004, 08:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"DH" wrote in message
Hope you don't mind me just jumping in here. I'm a bit new to
gardening and the staff at the local garden centre were not very
helpful.

Can anyone please advise me on what type of climbers will do well in
this situation:

Able to climb without support about 3 metres up a metal pole (about 6
inches wide) in an exposed, north-facing position, ie. pole is a few
inches in front of a wall and the wall is on a balcony ten stories
high!

It has to be hardy, potted, give great scent and look smashing!

If that's not asking too much...?

Ta
DH

Way too much, set you sights more on it surviving! you will almost certainly
have to give some additional support in the form of wire or netting as on a
smooth surface the wind will tend to remove even Ivy which by the way is
probably your best bet, although you could try one of the Honeysuckles
(lonicera) I find them ok only for short periods in pots.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 PM
DH

"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"DH"

Can anyone please advise me on what type of climbers will do well in
this situation:

Able to climb without support about 3 metres up a metal pole (about 6
inches wide) in an exposed, north-facing position, ie. pole is a few
inches in front of a wall and the wall is on a balcony ten stories
high!

It has to be hardy, potted, give great scent and look smashing!

If that's not asking too much...?

Way too much, set you sights more on it surviving! you will almost certainly
have to give some additional support in the form of wire or netting as on a
smooth surface the wind will tend to remove even Ivy which by the way is
probably your best bet, although you could try one of the Honeysuckles
(lonicera) I find them ok only for short periods in pots.

I would love to try honeysuckle.

Do you have any particular recommendations considering the setting?
Also I was wondering if I could get away with a 10" wide pot
(considering I only need it to climb 2.5 metres) and then repot if
necessary.

And.. a silly question (probably) just to prove what a newbie I am. Do
I need to vacuum-pack all my clothes to protect them from all the
moths that will be drawn to the honeysuckle?

thanks
DH
Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Kay

In article , DH REMOVEcinematicCAPITALS@b
reathe.com writes

And.. a silly question (probably) just to prove what a newbie I am. Do
I need to vacuum-pack all my clothes to protect them from all the
moths that will be drawn to the honeysuckle?

One or two species of moth, out of the dozens that we have in the UK,
lays its eggs on woollen (usually) cloth; the larvae that hatch out eat
holes in the cloth. If you are storing clothes for a long time it is
probably always sensible to enclose them in plastic bags to keep the
moths out and to protect them from dust.

If you're expecting to wear them regularly, the larvae won't have time
to hatch out and eat.

Either way, presence of honeysuckle isn't going to make any difference.

--
Kay

Old 11-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Franz Heymann

"DH" wrote in message

[snip]

And.. a silly question (probably) just to prove what a newbie I am.

Do
I need to vacuum-pack all my clothes to protect them from all the
moths that will be drawn to the honeysuckle?

The moths which are likely to be attracted to a honeysuckle are not
clothes-moths.

Franz

Old 11-08-2004, 08:19 AM
JennyC

"DH" wrote in message
Hope you don't mind me just jumping in here. I'm a bit new to
gardening and the staff at the local garden centre were not very
helpful.

Can anyone please advise me on what type of climbers will do well in
this situation:

Able to climb without support about 3 metres up a metal pole (about 6
inches wide) in an exposed, north-facing position, ie. pole is a few
inches in front of a wall and the wall is on a balcony ten stories
high!

It has to be hardy, potted, give great scent and look smashing!

If that's not asking too much...?

Ta
DH

Phew - you want a miracle plant !!
Ten stories up is high and the wind will be a big problem. Things dry out very
quickly and can get scorched too.

I think I'd try a variegated ivy - this will be good all year and you can add
some summer climbers for colour.

THE ivy page : http://www.eastcheam.co.uk/
Annual climbers : http://home.flash.net/~mindpath/ssis/annflvin.htm
General info : http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plant...s/vines/3.html

Jenny

Old 11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Charlie Pridham

"DH" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"DH"

[...]

Try Lonicera periclymenum, and no your cloths should safe (I haven't
completely decided whether that was a wind up!) Pot size, start with 10lts
min and I would recommend during the summer months (at least) having a
saucer or tray under to try and keep it wet, water often enough that it
never dries out (remove in winter when it looses its leaves as it will not
need as much water)
Tie the growth in to start with.
Good luck

Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 PM
DH

----------
In article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"DH" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"DH"

[...]

Thanks Charlie. And no I wasn't winding you up I've had a couple of
suits ruined by moths, because I very rarely wear them (and therefore
very rarely wash them). I suspect that honeysuckle would not be too
popular if having one led to a vast increase in cloth munching, but I
thought I'd ask just to be sure. Thats me, over-cautious.

And in any case, it seems from what you say, that I should be more
worried about the plant surviving, nevermind getting as far as
flowering!

I didn't mention that at the top of this pole is a mobile phone
antenna. I wonder what effect that will have on the honeysuckle? =)

DH
Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 PM
DH

----------
In article , "JennyC"
wrote:

Phew - you want a miracle plant !!

Exactly. But they don't do them in my local garden centre

By the way, they told me I couldn't grow jasmine from a cutting, but
somehow (more or less by accident), I did! So maybe I can work
miracles!?

Ten stories up is high and the wind will be a big problem. Things dry out
very
quickly and can get scorched too.

I think I'd try a variegated ivy - this will be good all year and you can

add
some summer climbers for colour.

I'll try ivy if all else fails. And the summer climbers would be a
good idea in that case.

ta
DH
Old 12-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

"DH" wrote in message

[snip]

I didn't mention that at the top of this pole is a mobile phone
antenna. I wonder what effect that will have on the honeysuckle?

=)

Or indeed what effect the honeysuckle might have on the antenna.
{:-))

Franz

Old 13-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Caroline

DH wondered:
By the way, they told me I couldn't grow jasmine from a cutting, but
somehow (more or less by accident), I did! So maybe I can work
miracles!?

Plants have this innate desire to live and do their very best against all
odds. Also, they did not know that they were not supposed to grow from
cuttings so they did it anyway.

Caroline

Old 29-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
DH wondered:
By the way, they told me I couldn't grow jasmine from a cutting, but
somehow (more or less by accident), I did! So maybe I can work
miracles!?

Plants have this innate desire to live and do their very best against all
odds. Also, they did not know that they were not supposed to grow from
cuttings so they did it anyway.

Caroline
hi i dont mean to but in or any thing but i would suggest parthenocissus quinkifolia (boston ivy) the boston should climb up ur pole and stay there no matter about the wind and it has brilliant red foliage in mid summer turning to a bronze/green for the rest of the year. i think it would do really well in the conditions u stated. if u cannot find it say an i can giv u a address. good luck and happy gardening