GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lilies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/81508-lilies.html)

Pink 10-08-2004 07:55 PM

Lilies

Something has munched little round holes in the leaves of my lilies. Lily
Beetle? Ifso, how to prevent next year? I'm no expert gardener and
shouldn't have let then near in the first place! Many thanks for any
advice re lilies in general.

Bob Hobden 10-08-2004 11:36 PM

Lilies

"Pink" wrote
Something has munched little round holes in the leaves of my lilies.

Lily
Beetle? Ifso, how to prevent next year? I'm no expert gardener and
shouldn't have let then near in the first place! Many thanks for any
advice re lilies in general.

No not Lilly Beetle, if it was there would not be any lily leaves left at
all, just a bare stem.

--
Regards
Bob

Magwitch 13-08-2004 08:05 AM

Lilies

Pink muttered:

Something has munched little round holes in the leaves of my lilies. Lily
Beetle? Ifso, how to prevent next year? I'm no expert gardener and
shouldn't have let then near in the first place! Many thanks for any
advice re lilies in general.

Scarlet lily beetle lays its eggs on lilies and it might be an early-stage
infestation. Are there any black mucky deposits on the underside of the
leaves? If so that'll be the grub (which attractively covers itself in its
own excrement) while it munches away... just get rid of and destroy (the
black muck not the lily).