Old 11-08-2004, 09:28 AM
The Photographer

Default vine weevil resistant evergreen bushes?

Could anyone advise me where to find advice on which evergreen bushes are
not favoured by vine weevil. I have moved to a new house and it's garden is
infested with the little devils! The bay is worst hit but they leave the box
and the choisya and a couple of others alone (hebe, laurel). I would like to
make the border a Mediterranean border and plant an olive tree, rosemary,
lavender and such, but I dont want to buy them and find they are a gourmet
meal for vine weevils.

Any help would be appreciated

Mike

Old 11-08-2004, 11:04 AM
David Hill

Mike

You don't say how big your garden is and how tall your bay is, would help to
know

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 11-08-2004, 11:28 AM
The Photographer

Its a small courtyard style garden, but the problem is the front border
which is about 1m by 4m. The bay is 1.5m high (3 of them). The developers
put the plants in, presumably from vine weevil infected stock. I am looking
to replace the badly affected plants with something more Mediterranean as at
the moment it is classic "roadside" planting! The garden faces West ish and
is quite sheltered and dry.

Mike

Old 11-08-2004, 04:44 PM
David Hill

Mike said
"......... Its a small courtyard style garden, but the problem is the front
border which is about 1m by 4m. The bay is 1.5m high (3 of them). The
developers put the plants in, presumably from vine weevil infected stock. I
am looking to replace the badly affected plants with something more
Mediterranean as at the moment it is classic "roadside" planting! The
garden faces West ish and is quite sheltered and dry. ........"

I would think of using Nematodes on an area of this size, though they will
do nothing against the adult weevil.
The adults can be controlled with Armilitox in solution though you will have
the smell around for a couple of weeks (Mind you it may keep cats out).
One problem might be adults coming in from surrounding gardens, so regular
treatment may well be required.
this link should be of use.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/horti...ine_weevil.asp

Incidentally there are now 2 types of nematodes available for weevil, one
works at lower temperatures so has a wider time span in which it can be
used, but forget its name.

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
jan

I have had a serious vine weevil problem over the last ten years. I
use Provado in my pots in late spring and early autumn, which had
really reduced the problem. My experience is that they love camellias
(I've lost more than a few and have now given up) but the
mediterranean aromatic shrubs don't seem to be to their taste. Other
tasty treat are cyclamen, busy lizzies, lilies. My conclusion is that
the drought resistant plants aren't so palatable to them - I only ever
plant up my pots with geranium, nemesia, lobelia, diascia - these are
never touched.
They are still in the borders but the numbers are reduced. My
clematis always looks a mess but is planted too deeply for any grub
damage.
Going our at night with a torch and picking them off is very effective
even if the neighbours think you're mad!

Best of luck

Jan

Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 11 Aug 2004 15:35:44 -0700, jan wrote:

...drought resistant plants...lobelia...

Really?

It's been my experience that the annual lobelias are ruined if
they go dry, while the perennial ones, being derived from
streamside and marsh plants, prefer quite moist, if not wet,
conditions.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada