Old 12-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered User

Question Where can I buy a summer house with a difference?

I want to buy a summer house that is made of something a little better than balsa wood. I would like to have something a little different and perhaps that can be used as an office. Any suggestions????
Old 13-08-2004, 07:34 AM
JennyC

Default Where can I buy a summer house with a difference?

--
Andrew03

Convert a shipping container !
Line with good insulation - cut windows and doors in the sides.........

Jenny

Old 13-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Derek Banks

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Andrew03" wrote in message

I want to buy a summer house that is made of something a little better
than balsa wood. I would like to have something a little different and
perhaps that can be used as an office. Any suggestions????

--
Andrew03

Convert a shipping container !
Line with good insulation - cut windows and doors in the sides.........

Jenny

I saw some very solid prefabricated Garden/Office/Summer House rooms at the
House and Garden Show Olympia a few years back. A room about 10 x 10 foot
was about £10,000 fitted. You had to supply the concrete base, telephone
and power connections. They looked great and IIR the frame work was metal
based. Unfortunately they were too expensive for me and I've lost the
details. But there are a lot of substantial buildings advertised in the RHS
magazine.
I purchased a Summer House from a local craft company thinking their
products looked good, substantial and they had a good reputation. There
was nothing wrong with the materials or the look of the building but after
time it leaked like a sieve. The problem was that there was absolutely no
sealant between the various bits of frame construction. So water leaked in
between the window frame where it joined the wall etc. These joints were
either screwed or bolted together. When they expanded and contracted with
the weather they opened and leaked. The company refused to do anything about
it.
I cured the problem by applying a transparent sealant to all joins both
inside and out. But I have to keep an eye open. By contrast the shed from
the same company is water tight. I guess it's something to do with a summer
house having glass on three sides. In my opinion if the various joints had
been sealed during construction this problem would have more than likely
been avoided.

Derek Banks

Old 13-08-2004, 03:15 PM
groovy

"Andrew03" wrote in message

I want to buy a summer house that is made of something a little better
than balsa wood. I would like to have something a little different and
perhaps that can be used as an office. Any suggestions????

This site should have some suggestions:
http://www.gardenbuildings.com/direc...ain/more2.html