Old 20-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Tim Challenger
writes

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians, he wouldn't have made animals out
of meat.

If God didn't want us to be cannibals, he wouldn't have made humans out
of meat

Illogical, captain. If humans were made out of vegetables (God knows
he nearly succeeded in many cases) then we'd all be vegetarian and could
still eat each other.

If he was serious, he'd have made us out of
--
Kay

Old 20-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

In article , Tim Challenger
writes

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians, he wouldn't have made animals out
of meat.

If God didn't want us to be cannibals, he wouldn't have made humans out
of meat

Illogical, captain. If humans were made out of vegetables (God knows
he nearly succeeded in many cases) then we'd all be vegetarian and could
still eat each other.

Couch potato, anyone?

Careful! It's only the underground bit you can eat - the bit on the
couch is poisonous!
--
Kay

Old 20-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Kay

In article , Kay
writes

If he was serious, he'd have made us out of

How did that get here! ;-)
I obviously shouldn't read my ngs before I'm fully awake
--
Kay

Old 20-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Gaby Chaudry

Helen,

Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings -

some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

I only discovered this thread today, so I'm a bit late in answering....

O.K. My Anthurium didn't bloom since last autumn. On Monday I bought an
Alocasia sanderiana and showed it to my Anthurium saying: "Look, how
beautiful this plant is! But you, you only produce green leaves over and
over, but no flower. What is wrong with you?"
Believe it or not: a small inflorescence is showing up since Wednesday!

A friend of mine told me that she had a plant which didn't want to bloom,
neither. She shouted at the plant: "If you don't start blooming till the end
of the week, I will throw you away!". Guess what happened? No, she didn't
have to throw it away!

You may say: this was just by chance. But I happened to see things like
these often enough to assume that they are signs of feelings. Fear or
perhaps even jealousy are motives I see in these reactions.

Gaby

--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder/

Old 20-08-2004, 10:43 AM
The Reids

Following up to Broadback

If it is ever proved that plants have feelings, and can feel pain what
on earth are veggies going to do? :-(

I saw a veggie on TV who would only eat individual leaves from a
plant to avoid killing it!
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.
Old 20-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:47:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Pumping Birthday greetings to the Dales?

Yes. I think it is nearly time to declare the well-wishing season
over. {:-))

It's my turn at the end of this month.

How old?
Which day?

Franz

Old 20-08-2004, 04:41 PM
The Reids

Following up to Malcolm

I saw a veggie on TV who would only eat individual leaves from a
plant to avoid killing it!

LOL! Presumably that means that no root crops can be eaten. And what
about seeds like rice or pulses. Each one has the potential to be a
plant so how could one eat those, either?

the presenter asked him if it caused him any problems and he
said only that he wife had left him! I cant remember what his
rules on potential life (seeds etc) were, IIRC he had gradually
got more and more extreme, an obsession I suspect rather than a
rational approach to moral eating. Still, its his choice.

Having read all this stuff I keep finding myself looking round
quickly on the allotment and I swear some bindweed tried to trip
me up the other day, its not paranoia, they *are* watching me.
:-)
Perhaps if I get the compost heap consecrated they will be
placated? But I couldn't put flowers on it, could I?
Old 20-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, England
Smile

This is a very interesting thread, and poses a very intriguing question.

To cut to the chase, IMHO, plans are living and as such have senses in which they employ for their survival. They can physically 'feel' but can't mentally 'feel'.

That is the difference between plants and animals.

Old 21-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Darwins Frog
writes

This is a very interesting thread, and poses a very intriguing
question.

To cut to the chase, IMHO, plans are living and as such have senses in
which they employ for their survival. They can physically 'feel' but
can't mentally 'feel'.

That is the difference between plants and animals.

That sounds about as good a summary of the topic as can be made.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 21-08-2004, 04:46 PM
David Hill

Alan Gould said "..........To cut to the chase, IMHO, plans are living and
as such have senses in which they employ for their survival. They can
physically 'feel' but can't mentally 'feel' ........"

Who's to say that plants don't have a sense, or senses that we know nothing
about.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Charlie Pridham

"David Hill" wrote in message
Alan Gould said "..........To cut to the chase, IMHO, plans are living

and
as such have senses in which they employ for their survival. They can
physically 'feel' but can't mentally 'feel' ........"

Who's to say that plants don't have a sense, or senses that we know

nothing
about.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

There are certainly times when I reckon they have a highly developed sense
of humour :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-08-2004, 05:57 PM
David Hill

Who's to say that plants don't have a sense, or senses that we know
nothing
about.

Sense of humour for example?

Dahlias laugh up their sleeves.
--
Martin

Sorry Martin but Osmacoat is a fertilizer not a plant garment

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"Gaby Chaudry" wrote in message
[...]

Now make a list of all the occasions in which you have spoken to q
plant after which it did not respond.
For each case you quote in which the plant responded, I will quote you
twenty in which the plant did not respond.

Franz