Old 14-08-2004, 07:22 PM
curiosity

Default need help to ID these please

apologies for variable quality of pics

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/a

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b (the flower is more red than the pink
that's registered)....a detail of that:-
http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b_detail

a couple of plants in pots

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_1
http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_2

would be obliged for any help
Old 14-08-2004, 07:46 PM
Kay

In article , curiosity
writes
apologies for variable quality of pics

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/a

japanese anemone

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b (the flower is more red than the pink
that's registered)....a detail of that:-
http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b_detail

Dunno. Not my area. Diascia as a long shot.

a couple of plants in pots

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_1

Solanum family. Poss Solanum jasminoides or whatever it's called. An
ornamental climber.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_2

Plumbago?

would be obliged for any help

--
Kay

Old 14-08-2004, 11:17 PM
David Hill

Nice to get an easy set.

1. Anemone X Hybrida
2. Ornamental Sage -- Try the scent of the leaf to find out which
3. Solanium jasminoides alba
4. Plumbago

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Sian Elaine

"curiosity" [email protected] wrote in message
apologies for variable quality of pics

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/a

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b (the flower is more red than the

pink
that's registered)....a detail of that:-
http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b_detail

a couple of plants in pots

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_1
http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_2
i think its solyana the potato vine
plumbago
would be obliged for any help

Old 15-08-2004, 10:39 AM
curiosity

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:17:30 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

Nice to get an easy set.

I'm a complete dunce so you can more or less rely on further easy sets. But
many thanks - leafing through a tome of often unreliable pictures is no joy.

1. Anemone X Hybrida
2. Ornamental Sage -- Try the scent of the leaf to find out which
3. Solanium jasminoides alba
4. Plumbago

The leaf of the ornamental sage certainly smells sagey - I wouldn't be able to
differentiate. Is a botanical name that I can check in my readers digest book?
For the moment I just need to know when and how to prune?

Old 15-08-2004, 10:40 AM
curiosity

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:46:44 +0100, Kay wrote:

In article , curiosity
writes
apologies for variable quality of pics

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/a

japanese anemone

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b (the flower is more red than the pink
that's registered)....a detail of that:-
http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/b_detail

Dunno. Not my area. Diascia as a long shot.

a couple of plants in pots

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_1

Solanum family. Poss Solanum jasminoides or whatever it's called. An
ornamental climber.

http://www.geocities.com/quooriosity/pot_2

Plumbago?

would be obliged for any help

thanks Kay - very helpful
Old 15-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Kay

In article , curiosity
writes
wrote:

Nice to get an easy set.

I'm a complete dunce so you can more or less rely on further easy sets. But
many thanks - leafing through a tome of often unreliable pictures is no joy.

1. Anemone X Hybrida
2. Ornamental Sage -- Try the scent of the leaf to find out which
3. Solanium jasminoides alba
4. Plumbago

The leaf of the ornamental sage certainly smells sagey - I wouldn't be able to
differentiate. Is a botanical name that I can check in my readers digest book?
For the moment I just need to know when and how to prune?

Salvia.

As a rule of thumb, prune just after flowering. If flowering is late in
the season, you might want to postpone pruning to spring. And if you
want the fruit, obviously you don't prune the flower heads ;-)
--
Kay

Old 16-08-2004, 01:05 PM
curiosity

On 15/8/04 10:39, in article ,

wrote:

Nice to get an easy set.

I'm a complete dunce so you can more or less rely on further easy sets. But
many thanks - leafing through a tome of often unreliable pictures is no joy.

1. Anemone X Hybrida
2. Ornamental Sage -- Try the scent of the leaf to find out which
3. Solanium jasminoides alba
4. Plumbago

The leaf of the ornamental sage certainly smells sagey - I wouldn't be able to
differentiate. Is a botanical name that I can check in my readers digest
book?
For the moment I just need to know when and how to prune?

I asked Ray to have a look at this - we sell a lot of Salvias. In response,
he showed me a lot of pages in the Plant Finder! He thinks - thinks - it's
one of the S. greggii group but there are so many within each group that
without seeing it, it's hard to pin down.
To illustrate the problems in identifying different Salvias you might like
to amuse yourself one day by looking at the Plant Finder. Our current
edition starts on page 666 and finishes on page 672!
They're fabulous plants, IMO.

thank you Sacha, checking 'salvia' my RD encycl. suggested a reasonable likeness
to an iffy picture of S.neurepia, then a google image search revealed this
picture which appears to be spot-on.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/samineurepia.jpg

I'll take a look at the Plant Finder at the next opportunity.
Old 16-08-2004, 01:23 PM
curiosity

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:05:04 +0200, curiosity [email protected] wrote:

thank you Sacha, checking 'salvia' my RD encycl. suggested a reasonable likeness
to an iffy picture of S.neurepia, then a google image search revealed this
picture which appears to be spot-on.

....on the other hand..... your suggested S.greggii group also reveals some
equally close likenesses. (this is tricky isn't it?....I must learn not to be
so hasty)

Old 16-08-2004, 04:00 PM
David Hill

curiosity wrote
"...........on the other hand..... your suggested S.greggii group also
reveals some equally close likenesses. (this is tricky isn't it?....I must
learn not to be so hasty ......."

That is why I said to smell the leaves, several look the sane but have a
different smell, most notible is Pineapple sage, just like the "pineapple
chunks" of old.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-08-2004, 08:47 AM
curiosity

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:00:18 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

curiosity wrote
"...........on the other hand..... your suggested S.greggii group also
reveals some equally close likenesses. (this is tricky isn't it?....I must
learn not to be so hasty ......."

That is why I said to smell the leaves, several look the sane but have a
different smell, most notible is Pineapple sage, just like the "pineapple
chunks" of old.

I'm not sure my olfactory is up to it - although I can definitiely rule out
pineapple. I'll work on it - and if I see other salvias it'll be interesting to
make this comparison.
Old 17-08-2004, 08:52 AM
curiosity

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:08:24 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

...on the other hand..... your suggested S.greggii group also reveals some
equally close likenesses. (this is tricky isn't it?....I must learn not to be
so hasty)

Just proved the point!! ;-) I don't know where you live but the National
Collection of Salvias is at Pleasant View Nursery, just outside Newton
Abbot, Devon.
You may just have to be content that you have a lovely plant and it's a
Salvia. ;-)

I am, I am.
I'm in Normandy by the way, (hope that won't disqualify me from receiving
further help!)

Next time I visit Dartmoor, I'll pay a visit to Pleasant View.