Old 14-08-2004, 11:14 PM
r.p.mcmurphy

Default Recomend A apple tree!

hi all, i have a small piece of land that has been called the orchard since
1826 but it has no apple trees now...it has been lawned and under used for
years. id like to grow some apple trees on it again...but the apples have
to be red skined and crisp like an empire or a braeburn or my other half
wont eat them! any sugestions?

ta

steve

Old 14-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Sacha

On 14/8/04 23:14, in article
, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

hi all, i have a small piece of land that has been called the orchard since
1826 but it has no apple trees now...it has been lawned and under used for
years. id like to grow some apple trees on it again...but the apples have
to be red skined and crisp like an empire or a braeburn or my other half
wont eat them! any sugestions?

I suggest you start with this catalogue. Some of the varieties came here
with the Romans.

http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Rod

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:14:33 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

hi all, i have a small piece of land that has been called the orchard since
1826 but it has no apple trees now...it has been lawned and under used for
years. id like to grow some apple trees on it again...but the apples have
to be red skined and crisp like an empire or a braeburn or my other half
wont eat them! any sugestions?

ta

steve

See if she likes Discovery - it'll be in the shops anytime now. It's
an early apple (first of the season for us) it doesn't keep but it
holds well on the tree so you can pick it over 2 or 3 weeks, red one
side, greenish the other, crisp if freshly picked, not overly sweet,
unique flavour - you like it or you don't. On a dwarfing stock it's
absolutely reliable, wonderful crop of lovely looking apples every
year.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 15-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Broadback

wrote:

[...]

There is no rush as they are best planted bare rooted in the Winter. I
would wait untill apple days start, then take the fussy one and select
apples she likes. There is such a wide range, and all do not grow in
all parts of the uk, so take advice from the tree suppliers, they love
to talk about their trees.

You also have to consider which pollinates which, as you seem to have
space for a number of trees that does not sound like a problem. When
you have taken all the advice nurtured your trees for a few years then
anticipate your first crop, I hope that unlike me you don't find the
wasps have scoffed them first. Ah well next year...

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Old 15-08-2004, 06:14 PM
gary smith

There is no rush as they are best planted bare rooted in the Winter. I
would wait untill apple days start, then take the fussy one and select
apples she likes. There is such a wide range, and all do not grow in
all parts of the uk, so take advice from the tree suppliers, they love
to talk about their trees.

Why not go to an 'Apple Day'. This is where you can taste all the
different apples available, some modern and some rare.

Check out the varieties that I grow for fruit at
http://www.balesfield.co.uk/fruittrees.html

One of my local 'Apple Day' is at Ryton Organic Gardens
http://www.hdra.org.uk/news/news_topic.php?id=38

Old 15-08-2004, 09:03 PM
nambucca

wrote:

[...]

yes lovely apples but the wasps love them before they are even ripe
.........my entire tree has been devoured by the wasps and now they are
starting on the cooking apples !!!

Spartan is a super apple .......very late picker ......keeps fairly well
does not get attacked by wasps
very crisp and deep red but not the tang of braeburns

Old 16-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Sue da Nimm

We have Katy and think it's wonderful.
Fruit looks stunning on the tree - vivid red all over.
We get a heavy crop of decent-sized fruit which are crisp and have a
wonderful flavour.
(We also grow Cox, Spartan, Gala and Ida. Cox is tops for flavour but Katy
is second favourite.)

Old 16-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Kay

In article , Roz Lacey
writes
We had a beautiful tree which was festooned with beautiful bright red
apples. It really was beautiful to see. Yuk ! to taste, they were
dreadful and I could not give them away - it was blown over in a mini
hurricane. Certainly was an eye catcher though. I am amazed to see there
are so many types of Russets, which are my favourite. Which is the most
flavoursome ? and easy to grow?. I live in the southernmost part of UK.

Rosemary Russett seems to be generally well spoken of.
I grow Brownlees Russet which crops reliably for me in Yorkshire and has
beautiful deep pink flowers.

BTW - the convention in this group is bottom posting, and if you top
post, it messes up the order of the replies.

Old 17-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Robert E A Harvey

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message ...
hi all, i have a small piece of land that has been called the orchard since
1826 but it has no apple trees now.

Allington Pippin.
Laxton Superb
Lord Lambourne
Blenheim Orange
Worcester Pearmain
Ribston Pippin

But you need to investigate pollintaion.
Apples flower in arbirrary 'week numbers' followoing a pattern each
year, so you will need a polinator with the same 'week number'. Or a
long-seson flowering crab apple, or someting similar.

1 apple tree is rearely succesful, of course.

Get the grass off, and dig in huge amounts of vegetable matter, as you
will never have the chance again. If the land is low lying, or wet,
consider planting the apples in raised mounds to help them survive the
first couple of winters. Keep the grass away from the trunks for at
least the first 10 years.