Old 15-08-2004, 07:11 PM
rocyn

Default turf cutters ?

I am planning to hire a turf cutter to remove my lawn - anyone have any
advice, tips or words of wisdom for using it ?

thanks

Jones

Old 16-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Dougie Nisbet

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:32:09 +0000, rocyn wrote:

are they easy to use ?

yes and no. In theory they should partly propel themselves, but in
practice you end up using a fair bit of muscle in driving the thing.
You'll find you spend the first half hour or so working out a system that
suits you. For example, you might cut a strip about 6 metres long, roll it
up, then discover it's too heavy to lift. You need to factor in about the
same time for moving the cut turf as you do cutting. The thing to remember
is it's a turf CUTTER, not LIFTER, and you can zoom around cutting the
turf, which stays neatly cut on the lawn until you roll it up and move it
somewhere. To sum up, I'd say the cutting bit doesn't take as much time as
the rolling up, lifting and moving of the cut turf. And the whole thing,
cutting and lifting, is very good exercise!

Old 17-08-2004, 07:36 PM
hugh

In message , Dougie
Nisbet writes
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:32:09 +0000, rocyn wrote:

are they easy to use ?

yes and no. In theory they should partly propel themselves, but in
practice you end up using a fair bit of muscle in driving the thing.
You'll find you spend the first half hour or so working out a system that
suits you. For example, you might cut a strip about 6 metres long, roll it
up, then discover it's too heavy to lift. You need to factor in about the
same time for moving the cut turf as you do cutting. The thing to remember
is it's a turf CUTTER, not LIFTER, and you can zoom around cutting the
turf, which stays neatly cut on the lawn until you roll it up and move it
somewhere. To sum up, I'd say the cutting bit doesn't take as much time as
the rolling up, lifting and moving of the cut turf. And the whole thing,
cutting and lifting, is very good exercise!

Not all of them are self propelled. I'd hate to use one that isn't
though. The one I hired had adjustable depth of cut. Problem I found was
that the blade was narrower than the wheel base, so cut your next turf
b4 removing the previous one.
I would agree, turf is *very heavy*, especially if the soil underneath
is damp/wet clay, so be prepared to cut it up into short lengths.
--
hugh

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
Question about weed cutters spampot Gardening 1 31-03-2003 04:20 AM