GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting distances for apple trees discovery & sunset (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/81781-planting-distances-apple-trees-discovery-sunset.html)

kenty ;-\) 15-08-2004 10:50 PM

Planting distances for apple trees discovery & sunset

What planting distance will be required for my two apple trees discovery &
sunset ?

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Dwayne 16-08-2004 01:13 PM

How big are they going to get. Dwarf trees are normally planted 15 ft apart
(5 meters), and large trees 30 ft (10 meters). At least that is what it
says in the catalogs I order mine from. I don't know anything about the two
varieties you mentioned.

Dwayne

Rod 16-08-2004 07:12 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:50:51 GMT, "kenty ;-\)"
wrote:

What planting distance will be required for my two apple trees discovery &
sunset ?

The type of rootstock is more important than the variety of apple.
Then the form in which they are grown will make a big difference to
the spacing. For example single cordons on dwarfing rootstock would
perhaps be 60-70cm. Bushes on same stock might be 4-5metres. Closer on
lighter poorer soils, further apart on strong rich soils.
Correspondingly wider on more vigorous stocks.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Tumbleweed 16-08-2004 11:29 PM

"kenty ;-)" wrote in message
What planting distance will be required for my two apple trees discovery &
sunset ?

You will need to be within arms length of them at the most, and closer
usually works better.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com