GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie - What Next for Veg (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/81785-newbie-what-next-veg.html)

thescullster 15-08-2004 10:01 PM

Newbie - What Next for Veg

Hi all

I have just had moderate success with early potatoes and broad beans, but am
now left with a bare patch about 5m x 2m.
Can anyone recommend suitable veg which will happily follow these two and
mature within the current growing season?
The plot is effectively bounded on the east and north sides by kitchen and
still cropping runner beans respectively.

TIA

Phil

Bob Hobden 15-08-2004 10:49 PM

Phil wrote
I have just had moderate success with early potatoes and broad beans, but

am
now left with a bare patch about 5m x 2m.
Can anyone recommend suitable veg which will happily follow these two and
mature within the current growing season?
The plot is effectively bounded on the east and north sides by kitchen and
still cropping runner beans respectively.

Some early peas such as Feltham First or Early Onward should just give you a
crop before the frosts.
Turnips for use during the winter.
Spring Onions likewise.
Spinach.
Lettuce.

--
Regards
Bob

Broadback 16-08-2004 11:34 AM

Bob Hobden wrote:

Phil wrote

I have just had moderate success with early potatoes and broad beans, but

am

now left with a bare patch about 5m x 2m.
Can anyone recommend suitable veg which will happily follow these two and
mature within the current growing season?
The plot is effectively bounded on the east and north sides by kitchen and
still cropping runner beans respectively.

Some early peas such as Feltham First or Early Onward should just give you a
crop before the frosts.
Turnips for use during the winter.
Spring Onions likewise.
Spinach.
Lettuce.

I am about to plant early potatoes (sourced from D T Brown), this will
be the third year, and we have new potatoes for Xmas.

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.

Steve Harris 17-08-2004 12:40 PM

In article , (Bob Hobden)
wrote:

Turnips for use during the winter.

Yes but be quick. Your crop will probably be much nicer then shop
bought.

Also consider winter radish. They're much larger than ordinary summer
ones.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/