Old 17-08-2004, 09:04 AM
les

Default Skeletonising of Rose Bush Leaves

I have a Blue Moon climbing rose which is suffering fron skeletonising of
the leaves. The leaves are not being eaten into holes but seem to have all
the greenery taken out and left with a mere brown skeleton. I have other
roses but they do not seem to be affected.

A book I have would indicate that this is Leaf Beetle. However, on
inspection of the underside of one of the leaves I found about 10 small
caterpillar like creatures huddled together. They were all less than 1 cm
long.

Can anyone advise me what they are, how to deal with them and if they will
cause any long term damage to my rose?

Many thanks

Les

Old 17-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Oxymel of Squill

I bet they are being eaten

Old 17-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Nick Gray

"les" wrote in message
I have a Blue Moon climbing rose which is suffering fron skeletonising of
the leaves. The leaves are not being eaten into holes but seem to have all
the greenery taken out and left with a mere brown skeleton. I have other
roses but they do not seem to be affected.

A book I have would indicate that this is Leaf Beetle. However, on
inspection of the underside of one of the leaves I found about 10 small
caterpillar like creatures huddled together. They were all less than 1 cm
long.

Can anyone advise me what they are, how to deal with them and if they will
cause any long term damage to my rose?

Many thanks

Les

Hi Les,

I'm pretty sure it's Rose slugworm. They produce skeletonised areas on
leaves, only eating the internal tissue and not the veins. Spray with Bio
Liquid Derris Plus, which should be available from you local garden centre.

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 17-08-2004, 11:20 AM
les

"Nick Gray" wrote in message

"les" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I'm off to the garden centre now.

Les