Old 20-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Sacha

On 19/8/04 23:13, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Ah well, that explains it! Is this Albizia what some call the silk tree or
Chinese silk tree, or some such?

Yes, precisely.

Thanks. I'm assuming it's the leaves that give rise to the 'confusion'.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:47:15 +0100, Sacha wrote:

...is it that Albizia is known as mimosa in USA?

Sorry if my quotes around "mimosa" didn't make this clear. You
have figured it out. "Mimosa" is what we called albizia in my
childhood and I still use the word in that context.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 25-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Emery Davis

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:35:37 GMT, "Phil L" said:

] Sacha wrote:
] :: On 19/8/04 9:40, in article
] :: , "Dave Poole"
] :: wrote:
[]
] :: Friends of mine living in the Loire valley in France had this in
] :: their garden. They were quite high up and had a lot of fog but
] :: not too much frost. However in one very snowy winter their
] :: Albizia died off and now I wonder if it was being wet at the roots
] :: for a long time as the snow melted that killed it. Their garden
] :: is steeply drained but I'd think the whole area (which is
] :: surrounded by chestnut forests) is damp in general. --
]
] I don't know if it will grow here then - our garden is pure sand after the
] top 16 inches, what's under that I don't know...maybe it's better for
] drainage as we do get a lot of rain in summer, although very little in
] winter.
]

I put one in here in Normandy last year. The cultivar is Ombrella
(I guess that's the cultivar anyway) and this one is supposed to be
resistant to cold. It's doing pretty well, so far, although it hasn't
flowered this year.

When I was a child we lived in a suburb of NY City, and had an Albizia.
The winters there are very cold and snowy, but the tree thrived. Of course
the very hot summers may have had an influence...

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

by removing the well known companies

Growing Mimosa pudica in Montreal SwordAngel Gardening 4 24-08-2019 05:25 PM
My Potted Mimosa Tree **Needing advice..... Jmichele Bonsai 3 30-06-2013 10:32 PM
Mimosa Tree Joyce Gardening 7 11-10-2011 12:43 PM
Mimosa Tree Peter Donovan Bonsai 1 13-09-2003 08:12 AM
mimosa Derek Turner United Kingdom 0 29-10-2002 05:35 PM