Old 18-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Charles27441

Default Kiwi Fruit Plants

Does anyone have information in the cultivation of kiwi plants. The plants I
have are one year old grown from seed and they are taking over in the
greenhouse but there is no signs of blossom. Help please!.
Old 18-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charles27441 wrote:
Does anyone have information in the cultivation of kiwi plants. The plants I
have are one year old grown from seed and they are taking over in the
greenhouse but there is no signs of blossom. Help please!.

They are not greenhouse plants, unless you have Kew-sized greenhouses.
What is more, they can't be pruned in spring or early summer (at
least), because they bleed like the devil. You need a fairly large,
warm, sunny spot and one plant of each sex.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Oxymel of Squill

I had a couple of plants in London which grew all along the back of the
house and gave me buckets of fruit every year, specially pleasing as Bob
Flowerdew said on GQT that you can't get them to fruit properly in the UK

I've planted a self fertile one on the side of my garage where I live now,
100m n of london. It's growing perkily and I'm taking care to train it this
time.

I'd give yours a couple more years before expecting fruit, but I'm sure
you'll get plenty

Jon

Old 18-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Charles27441

Thankyou for such a quick response to my problem, I guess I shall have to go
back to growing tomatoes.

Thanks again ,
Chas Elliott.
Old 18-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charles27441 wrote:
Thankyou for such a quick response to my problem, I guess I shall have to go
back to growing tomatoes.

If you want to try exotic fruit, have a go with Cape gooseberries
(physalis). They can be treated much like tomatoes, but need a
bit more growth to fruit. There are also a few other related
fruit/vegetables that are rarely sold in the UK, such as the
tomatillo.

And Cape gooseberries will set you back the cost of a packet from
the supermarket - they are dead easy to germinate and grow as pot
plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Charles27441

Thanks for your reply to my query, I will give them another year and see what
happens.

Kind Regards,
Chas Elliott.

Self Fertile Kiwi Fruit - How to Grow? Springtime United Kingdom 0 26-02-2006 01:35 PM
Kiwi fruit Duncan Heenan United Kingdom 3 29-03-2005 10:09 PM
Kiwi Fruit Ron Hagley Lawns 2 23-08-2004 02:09 AM
new zealand kiwi fruit kettlink Edible Gardening 10 21-07-2004 04:02 AM
Grape vine/kiwi fruit? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 21 09-01-2004 01:33 PM