Old 25-08-2004, 10:51 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

[...]
There are more cunning ways to measure humic acids.

I don't doubt that. By the way, I don't like the catch-all term
"humic acids".

Well, now that we've disposed of the undoubted scam, in particular
applications catch-all terms may have their uses. For example, the
concentration of acidic humic compounds

Yes, but what are "humic compounds"?

in a water sample is of
serious and proper interest, and most of the time no more specific
term is needed -- in fact, listing the compounds out would often be

waste of space. I've just looked for another example, and at once
found an on-line oil-industry glossary which suggests that, at least
for one phase of that industry, the term's good enough for practical
purposes:

quote/humic acid

1. n. [Drilling Fluids] ID: 1986

Organic carboxylic acids of complex molecular structure (aromatic

and
phenolic) that comprise 10 to 90% of lignite.

At least there we have an attempt at a definition, even if the
definition is a catch-all sentence.

Humic acids in lignite
react with caustic ingredients (NaOH and KOH) in mud. The water
solubility of lignite depends on its humic acid content.
Decarboxylation of humic acid groups by hydrolysis in alkaline muds

is
a major source of carbonate and bicarbonate anions in water muds.
/endquote

You could afford to forget more about this than I shall ever have
known, but it seems to me that even such ordinarily useful

expressions
as "fatty acids" or "amino-acids" could also be called "catch-all
terms".

Yes, I think you are right. {:-))

May we bring this diversion to an end by saying that humic acid is the
variety of acids which give peat a low pH?

(Deep breath.)

Even deeper breath,

Franz

Old 26-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Martin Brown
writes
Well yes, but what is 'goodness'?

According to Organic(TM) scheme it is mainly about getting premium
prices off the worried well for vastly overpriced and overpackaged
Organic(TM) branded goods in supermarkets. After being sanctified by the
acolytes of the Soil Association you can charge a massive premium.

Often the Organic(TM) stuff is flown half way round the world using
vastly more petrochemicals than it would require to grow it locally.

I have no problem at all with minimum inputs agriculture (as opposed to
modern intensive commercial farming) or local farmers markets, but
Organic(TM) is founded primarily on marketing concerns rather than on
real science.

Well yes, but you still haven't defined 'goodness' in this context.

Convincing the punters to pay up willingly for overpriced goods.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 26-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Franz Heymann
writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. com...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

[...]
There are more cunning ways to measure humic acids.

I don't doubt that. By the way, I don't like the catch-all term
"humic acids".

Well, now that we've disposed of the undoubted scam, in particular
applications catch-all terms may have their uses. For example, the
concentration of acidic humic compounds

Yes, but what are "humic compounds"?

I can't tell here if you are being serious or have a genuine
misunderstanding. It is in fact quite useful to categorise chemicals by
their generic properties rather than give very long names for each and
every compound in a naturally occurring and usually highly complex
mixture. Not least because of all the specific stereo chemistry of
natural materials.

quote/humic acid

1. n. [Drilling Fluids] ID: 1986

Organic carboxylic acids of complex molecular structure (aromatic

and
phenolic) that comprise 10 to 90% of lignite.

At least there we have an attempt at a definition, even if the
definition is a catch-all sentence.

The definition is simple enough. They are the acids that you get when
plant material like humus decays in peat and lignite. You can smell some
of their short chained aliphatic relatives in grass fermenting on the
compost heap.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 26-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

[snip]

The definition is simple enough. They are the acids that you get

when
plant material like humus decays in peat and lignite. You can smell

some
of their short chained aliphatic relatives in grass fermenting on

the
compost heap.

I am rather disappointed that you snipped context from my previous
note without saying that you did so.

Franz

Old 26-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Martin Brown
writes
Well yes, but you still haven't defined 'goodness' in this context.

Convincing the punters to pay up willingly for overpriced goods.

There's a lot of that about, but I hadn't realised it was goodness.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 27-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
A device used by Alan Gould to distract attention from the imminent
popping of his toy balloon, and divert the attention of the pinholder
towards some other target considered by Alan to be deserving of a poke
with a sharp instrument.

;-)

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 27-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

If you really want to learn something new, ask Janet about

Permaculture!

Janet, What is Permaculture?

A device used by Alan Gould to distract attention from the

imminent
popping of his toy balloon, and divert the attention of the

pinholder
towards some other target considered by Alan to be deserving of a

poke
with a sharp instrument.

Thanks.
I think I'll drop out of this thread for now.

Franz

Old 27-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in