Old 21-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

The fairy cheated me. I only won threepence per tooth.

Was it called a tickie where you were?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Doug.

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:31:20 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

Well no it doesn't help in this case, but thanks for looking it up.
This seems to concern the manufacture of wood products, not the
painting of a garden fence, so hardly relevant here.

[Irrelevancies snipped]

On the contrary, EPA 90 has far more wide-reaching implications than
the regulation of manufacturing processes.

"Part III Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA 90). EPA 90 as
amended by the Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993, contains the
main legislation on statutory nuisance and allows for action to be
taken by either local authorities or individuals. The following are
deemed to be statutory nuisances when prejudicial to health, if they
become a nuisance or if they interfere with a persons' legitimate use
of land such as neighbours in their homes and gardens: -

Smoke emitted from premises
Fumes or gases from private dwellings
Dust, steam, smell or other effluvia from industrial, trade or
business premises"

Without doubt, noxious vapours emitted as a result of spraying garden
fences with preservatives would come under the heading of "fumes or
gases from private dwellings". Even an unpleasant odour from the
preservative agent used might be deemed to "interfere with a person's

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy

@despammed.com

********
"Fumes and gasses from private dwellings." That's a laugh!.
My next door neighbour built an extended kitchen when I was in Greece
for a couple of months.
When I came home his boiler's pressurised vent was five feet high from
the floor and one metre from my breakfast-room . It stuck out six
inches horizontally, aimed directly at the sash which when opened
aerated my room.
I complained to everyone in the various Authorities . The Architect
laughed at me. The local Council Environment chap told him to put a
cowl over it. He did . A month later they put up a smaller one. Later he
removed it and to this day the alley between us is untenable so he
doesn't use it, except for storing junk. Litigation cost me 250 quid. I
had to prove the volume, the danger or not of the waste gasses and the
noxious percentage entering the room. Anyone is allowed to have a
outlet where they want it providing it is a metre away from the property
border.
Go round any (let's say terraced houses) and there they are!, - sticking
out at knee height and bedroom height on every house wall, and crowds of
children playing alongside the lower ones.
I was told by the experts that the gas emitted from present-day gas
boilers is not in any way toxic or a danger to health.
My only solution was to knock down the breakfast room (adjoining the
garage) and rebuild with an illegal wall 8 feet high, an expensive
safety-glass sloping roof and it is now a utility room with
clothes-washer, cupboard, fridge-freezer.
Total cost to me, - 1500 quid. and no breakfast room where we had all
our meals.
B.T.W., On top of my duties, (At my "Work", so to say), - at Stone,
Staffordshire I attended the full Heating and Ventilation course at the
top world renowned College there - and I then "Clerk of Works'ed" the
installations at my two new (local) large buildings, - supervised
change-over . It took a year to solve the bugs they had left). - and
maintained the heating installations. All on top of my prescribed
duties including night call-outs and initial faults clearing in addition
to my proper duties as a Consultant Comms employee.
Conclusion. You cannot win against local Council jobsworthies. Nobody
can sack them and their pay is secure, so they sit back and enjoy life.
Thus, their impertinence, insolence, arrogance and ignorant lack of
honesty, diligence , decency and productivity always goes beyond
educated bounds..
That last word productivity is a particular anathema to them.
Doug.
********

Old 21-08-2004, 02:08 PM
dennis@home

Doug. wrote:

I was told by the experts that the gas emitted from present-day gas
boilers is not in any way toxic or a danger to health.

They are correct.
The only products from a correctly functioning gas boiler are water and CO2.
(Water is the most dangerous statistically.. it kills dozens every year.)

My only solution was to knock down the breakfast room (adjoining the
garage) and rebuild with an illegal wall 8 feet high, an expensive
safety-glass sloping roof and it is now a utility room with
clothes-washer, cupboard, fridge-freezer.

I would have thought that an extractor fan mounted in the window would have
done the trick for about £60.
If you had fitted a really powerfull one his boiler would probably have
failed to work correctly.

Old 21-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Oo" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Oo" wrote in message

"roy" wrote in message
news They should be banned

They aren't and there is not a law against using them.

and people like you who use them
jailed for inflicting airborn contaminants/vocs/preservatives

You don't know what type of 'paint' I am planning to spray do

you?

on your neighbours.

Who said I had neighbours?

If you want to make and song and dance about polluting the air I

suggest you
begin by having a go at industry such as municipal waste

incinerators and
other industrial processes. Or how about the release of

radioactive
gases
into the air by nuclear power stations,

Down to here you spoke a great deal of sense. However, you are

wrong
about the release of radioactive gases into the air by nuclear

power
stations. In normal operation, nuclear power stations do not

release
any radioactive gases into the air at all.

However something such as the failure of the cooling system

resulting in a
partial meltdown of the reactor's core will certainly lead to the

release of
radioactive gases into the atmosphere. This does happen - with

catastrophic
consequences.

Of course. If that reactor had been serviced and working properly the
failure of the cooling system would have shut it down in good time.

Franz

Old 21-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

The fairy cheated me. I only won threepence per tooth.

Was it called a tickie where you were?

Yes. I still have one or two.
The English spelling is "tickey" and in Afrikaans it is "tiekie". I
am not certain as to which came first. In Afrikaans lessons at
school, it used to be drummed into us that committing an Anglicism is
equivalent to breaking the eleventh commandment. We had to memorise
lists of such Anglicisms and "tiekie" was not on the list, so I
presume that it preceded the English version.

Franz

Old 21-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

The fairy cheated me. I only won threepence per tooth.

Was it called a tickie where you were?

Yes. I still have one or two.
The English spelling is "tickey" and in Afrikaans it is "tiekie". I
am not certain as to which came first. In Afrikaans lessons at
school, it used to be drummed into us that committing an Anglicism is
equivalent to breaking the eleventh commandment. We had to memorise
lists of such Anglicisms and "tiekie" was not on the list, so I
presume that it preceded the English version.

Where I was, it effectively didn't HAVE a written form, so there WAS
no 'correct' spelling. That could well indicate that it was borrowed
from the Africaans, as so many such words were. Everybody used them,
but formal communication was in Queen's English.

Q: How do you spell tickey?
A: Thruppence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Franz Heymann

Franz Heymann wrote:

[...]

My Kritzinger & Steyn Afrikaans-English dictionary, of 1935 vintage,
has both the English and the Afrikaans entries

Q: How do you spell tickey?
A: Thruppence.

Franz

Old 22-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Doug.

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:31:18 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Down to here you spoke a great deal of sense. However, you are wrong
about the release of radioactive gases into the air by nuclear power
stations. In normal operation, nuclear power stations do not release
any radioactive gases into the air at all.

******
That's good news!. I'm off to report to the people of Ravenglass and
West Cumberland , - that the failure of the nuclear chimneys,
deliberately left chucking out radio-active filth because our dear Prime
Minister was dependant on the US for certain elements for the nuke subs,
was not responsible for the mass leukaemia deaths of their children, and
the pouring into the sea of thousands of gallons of milk was because
somenone had peed into the churns. And it wasn't Cherobyl that still
pollutes the grass around here. They will be comforted' I'm sure -
just as I am because my wife was one ot the many victims of leukaemia ,
she survived, but her life was altered for the worse but many young
friends who were suddenly struck died early horrible deaths as a result.
My doctors were the first to call alarm but they were visited . (By
sick patients, - of course!.)
Doug.
******

As a matter of fact, the
old coal fired power stations *did* release a considerable amount of
radioactive materials into the atmosphere, but it was not considered
polite to mention that fact.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! I've got them arguing amongst themselves now.

Trust a kraut to stick his nose in and make a dolt of himself.
:-)))))

--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy

@despammed.com

Old 22-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Down to here you spoke a great deal of sense. However, you are

wrong
about the release of radioactive gases into the air by nuclear

power
stations. In normal operation, nuclear power stations do not

release
any radioactive gases into the air at all.

******
That's good news!. I'm off to report to the people of Ravenglass

and
West Cumberland , - that the failure of the nuclear chimneys,

There are no such things as nuclear chimneys.
You really should resdtrict your post to gardening matters.

deliberately left chucking out radio-active filth because our dear

Prime
Minister was dependant on the US for certain elements for the nuke

subs,

You are still talking nonsense. Do familiarise yourself with the
actual facts.

was not responsible for the mass leukaemia deaths of their children,

Please give the statistics for these "mass deaths of their children"
because of leukaemia..

and
the pouring into the sea of thousands of gallons of milk was because
somenone had peed into the churns. And it wasn't Cherobyl that

still
pollutes the grass around here.

There was a dreadful accident at Chernobyl. It nevertheless killed
substantially less people than the number of miners which have been
killed providing coal for old fashioned power stations. My comparison
is based on a normalisation to equal amounts of energy produced.

They will be comforted' I'm sure -
just as I am because my wife was one ot the many victims of

leukaemia ,
she survived, but her life was altered for the worse but many young
friends who were suddenly struck died early horrible deaths as a

result.
My doctors were the first to call alarm but they were visited . (By
sick patients, - of course!.)

I am upset to hear that your wife died of leukaemia. My best friend
of 50 years standing also died of leukaemia, but he was not involved
with, or anywhere in the vicinity of the nuclear power industry.

Franz

Franz

Old 23-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Brian Watson

"Martin" wrote in message

I recall buying beer by the bucket.

Having just returned from a Music 'n Beer Festival so do I ... just.

;-)

--
Brian
Neither Grumpy nor Old. I am, however, a bloke.

Old 24-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Doug.

wrote:

[...]

You must remember that we here lived it day to day and experienced the
trauma day by day. The Cumberland Fells are still contaminated from
Chernobyl, but that's another incident in another story.
No chimneys at the Cumbrian nuclear Station?., - then as I passed it
each day I must have been be blind, - they tower(ed) above the globular
nuclear reactor building and high against the skyline.
All the milk in West Cumbria was poured into the sea, no argument.
The unimpeachable record is that at that time the alarm was sounded
because children in Ravenglass were suddenly 'out of the blue'
contracting leukaemia, and I lost a friend or two in my town., so why
did the rash of illnesses concur with the faulty and deliberately
neglected waste chimneys.
Ask the Irish Government about the sea pollution, we have another
nuclear plant across Morecambe bay.
This post is not outside the topic. The land we garden also suffered the
pollution albeit it may be below "acceptable" levels.
There is a very active Body of protest in this area and they have a
point. The electricity we were promised would cost pennies has not
occurred,. Indeed the nuclear plants cannot exist without massive
Government financial back-up, it is well know the are far from
profitable and are subsided from taxes.
BTW, my wife survived as mentioned but is an invalid due to emphysema
and the ensuing drastic chemical medical treatments.
Doug.
******

Old 24-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

Please quantify. If you fail to do so, I will tell you that the
extent of contamination of the Lakeland is now comparable with the
natural incoming cosmic radiation, i.e. negligible.

No chimneys at the Cumbrian nuclear Station?

Kindly read what I said, and don't raise red herrings. I said no
nuclear chimneys. There are categorically no chimneys in Sellafield
for transporting radioactive matter.

.., - then as I passed it
each day I must have been be blind, - they tower(ed) above the

globular
nuclear reactor building and high against the skyline.

Please read up what the chimneys are used for.

All the milk in West Cumbria was poured into the sea, no argument.

For a brief period, in a gross overreaction.

The unimpeachable record is that at that time the alarm was sounded
because children in Ravenglass were suddenly 'out of the blue'
contracting leukaemia,

Balls. It has not yet been established whether the leukemia incidents
in that region is a statistically significant incidence, let alone
whether it is indeed related to Sellafield. Have you ever read about
the other pockets of leukaemia in places which are not associated with
the nuclear stations at all, and have you ever read about any such
pockets associated with any of the dozen or so other reactors dotted
all over the country?

and I lost a friend or two in my town., so why
did the rash of illnesses concur with the faulty and deliberately
neglected waste chimneys.

Please find out what the chimneys actually do before you get yourself
deeper into the mire on this topic.

Ask the Irish Government about the sea pollution, we have another
nuclear plant across Morecambe bay.

Please quantify the extent of the pollution before making a song and
dance about it. Then make a song about the radioactive pollution
which the coal fired power stations were spewing all over the country
for nearly a century.

This post is not outside the topic. The land we garden also suffered
the
pollution albeit it may be below "acceptable" levels.

Then why do you harp on about it?

There is a very active Body of protest in this area and they have
point.

Actually they have no point. The anti-nuclear lobby has hyped up the
situation beyond all bounds of reason Sooner or later they will have
to realise that it is *absolutely essential* for a new generation of
nuclear power stations to be developed. All this ****-farting about
with solar, wind and wave energy is just a smoke screen. There is no
way whatsoever in which they will replace more than a small fraction
of the energy we obtain from oil at present.

The electricity we were promised would cost pennies has not
occurred,. Indeed the nuclear plants cannot exist without massive
Government financial back-up, it is well know the are far from
profitable and are subsided from taxes.

Yes. So what? Farmers are considerably more heavily subsidised from

Old 02-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Doug.

wrote:

[...]

Addendum.
Tomorrow at 2-30 p.m. I and my family will take my wife 's earthly
remains to the Church where we were married 64 years ago. She is now
At Peace.
May she be Blessed and those she leaves behind comforted.
Including,
Doug.
********

Old 05-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Viking Stodge

Doug. wrote:
********
Addendum.
Tomorrow at 2-30 p.m. I and my family will take my wife 's earthly
remains to the Church where we were married 64 years ago. She is now
At Peace.
May she be Blessed and those she leaves behind comforted.
Including,
Doug.
********

My condolences Doug, for you and your family,

VS

---

Sheen Flame Gun Spares Steve United Kingdom 10 30-06-2017 06:37 PM
Tape gun Rob Halgren Orchids 19 12-11-2004 04:35 PM
Paraffin flame gun? Nige United Kingdom 20 02-06-2004 07:10 AM
Carry purse wanted at gun show in Denver Melissa Gardening 28 13-11-2003 11:12 AM
Bat houses ( was Carry purse wanted at gun show in Denver Melissa Gardening 0 10-11-2003 03:32 AM