Old 19-08-2004, 01:31 AM
Oo

Default paint sprayer/gun for fences?

Hi

I have quite a bit of garden fencing that needs painted, I fancy using some
kind of sprayer (preferably electric and as cheap as possible). Any ideas?

Many thanks!!

Kind regards

Oo

Old 19-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Anthony

"Oo" wrote in message
Hi
I have quite a bit of garden fencing that needs painted, I fancy using

some
kind of sprayer (preferably electric and as cheap as possible). Any ideas?
Many thanks!!
Kind regards
Oo

I bought an Earlex one from Machine Mart last year (approx £60)
Works well, uses paint/preserver straight from the can via tube, can't fault
it.
I remove the panels proir to spraying to ensure the edges and bottoms
receive some paint as well.
Saves alot of time (approx 1/2 the time of brushing), sprayed my Fathers
panels
a couple of weeks ago, he was very impressed.
Just make sure the sprayer is cleaned properly after use
and check the model you purchase is suitable for the thicker types of wood
preserver.
HTH
Anthony

Old 19-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Brian Watson

"Oo" wrote in message
Hi

I have quite a bit of garden fencing that needs painted, I fancy using

some
kind of sprayer (preferably electric and as cheap as possible). Any ideas?

I have one that cost about £35 from Homebase. It works well - VERY well in
fact - but I now wish it had a greater capacity in the tank.

Therefore my suggestion would be; get one that claims to handle the
thickness of preservative you want to spray but get as large a capacity tank
as you can afford.
--
Brian
Sig: I have nothing to say

Old 19-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Robert E A Harvey

"Oo" wrote in message ...
Hi

I have quite a bit of garden fencing that needs painted, I fancy using some
kind of sprayer (preferably electric and as cheap as possible). Any ideas?

I have a pump-up one sold by Cuprinol, which appears to be a hozelock
with a different nozzle.

Works fine with http://tinyurl.co.uk/qqe3 . Very well indeed, in
fact. There is some sort of wax in this which will eventually clog
the nozzle. But very easy to control, the 'wand' goes behind plants
easily (I use a small bit of hardboard in the other hand to mask the
plants from the spray) and does a good job of even coating. Start
from the top and work down.

Gets clogged up by http://tinyurl.co.uk/ffqj but then they say you
need something else to spray this stuff - Can't imagine what, it has a
huge amount of suspended solids. No actual sprayer is mentioned on
the web site.
Old 19-08-2004, 10:00 AM
roy

They should be banned and people like you who use them
jailed for inflicting airborn contaminants/vocs/preservatives
on your neighbours.

Old 19-08-2004, 10:39 AM
GwG

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:31:26 +0100, Oo wrote:

Hi

I have quite a bit of garden fencing that needs painted, I fancy

using
some kind of sprayer (preferably electric and as cheap as possible).

Any
ideas?

"roy" wrote in message
news
They should be banned and people like you who use them
jailed for inflicting airborn contaminants/vocs/preservatives
on your neighbours.

Perhaps if you had expanded on your reasons for this, and possibly a
link, with further information on the dangers of spraying preservatives,
people would take more notice of what you have contributed.
I have never sprayed a fence, but I was unaware that there would be a
problem with spraying, in fact, I have never even considered that there
could be a problem, but to suggest jailing me for not being aware,
without even offering any education on the subject, seems a bit extreme.

Old 19-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Tenex

Oo wrote:
Hi

I have quite a bit of garden fencing that needs painted, I fancy
using some kind of sprayer (preferably electric and as cheap as
possible). Any ideas?

if you're using creosote then some grades can be sprayed using a
standard cheap garden pressure sprayer.

Old 19-08-2004, 12:05 PM
BigBird

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:39:31 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

in fact, I have never even considered that there
could be a problem, but to suggest jailing me for not being aware,
without even offering any education on the subject, seems a bit extreme.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. It is an offence to pollute the
atmosphere ... full stop.

As the previous poster asked is there any evidence that the atmosphere is
polluted by spraying preservatives rather than just girlie hysterics.

We are discussing spraying not atomising I thought.

It appears that you are the ones being rather ignorant.

One of the wood preservative agents mentioned in an earlier posting
contains a particularly toxic cocktail of pollutants.

I suggest you don't drink it then.

Old 19-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Walt Davidson writes:
| On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:39:31 +0100, "GwG" wrote:
|
| in fact, I have never even considered that there
| could be a problem, but to suggest jailing me for not being aware,
| without even offering any education on the subject, seems a bit extreme.
|
| Ignorance of the law is no defence. It is an offence to pollute the
| atmosphere ... full stop.

No, it isn't. If it were, using a motor vehicle would be a crime.
And spraying a fence is not an offence.

| One of the wood preservative agents mentioned in an earlier posting
| contains a particularly toxic cocktail of pollutants.

If you mean creosote then, yes, it does. But they are not particularly
volatile, and the main danger is to the person applying it. It is
also grossly exaggerated by the scientifically ignorant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2004, 02:01 PM
GwG

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:39:31 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

in fact, I have never even considered that there
could be a problem, but to suggest jailing me for not being aware,
without even offering any education on the subject, seems a bit

extreme.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. It is an offence to pollute the
atmosphere ... full stop.

It would have been helpful to have a reference to a particular law
regarding fence spraying, (as this is what is being discussed here),
then I might be suitably informed of what I am being ignorant about. Is
it just certain chemicals that should not be sprayed, or is it illegal
to spray any preservatives on a fence, no matter how safe that
preservative may be?

One of the wood preservative agents mentioned in an earlier posting
contains a particularly toxic cocktail of pollutants.

If so, why not name the preservative, instead of vaguely referring to it
as "One of the wood preservative agents mentioned in an earlier posting"
I have read somewhere that certain forms of creosote are harmful, but I
think those forms of creosote are harmful, no matter how they are
applied, so they probably should not be used anyway.
Am I being ignorant of the law regarding the spraying of preservatives
on fences, or does the law specifically refer to the spraying of toxic
substances on fences?

Old 19-08-2004, 02:43 PM
rmcelvenney

creosote substitute is available and a great deal cheaper than all these
fancy colours at even fancier prices. but under no circumstances us a spray
gun with this product, good luck . i recent ly painted all my fences and am
having alie down

Old 19-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Viking Stodge

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:05:32 +0100, "Viking Stodge"
wrote:

All due respect

And none at all to you.

Why does that not surprise me?

From a personal point of view, if I had a neighbour who started
quoting EU regulations and VOC's I would buy the largest, noisiest
compressor I could find and spray away to my hearts
content.......with a big smile on my face.

I expect you would .... like the selfish, antisocial ******* that you
are.

Yet again spoken from a position of ignorance. Hurray, we have found a
subject you truly are a master at, a subject you can truly speak with an air
of authority......oh dear, is it possible to speak authoritively about
ignorance? I suppose only you can truly say. Please tell.

Have a nice life.

Thanks, I am.

VS

---

Old 19-08-2004, 03:31 PM
GwG

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:01:53 +0100, "GwG" wrote:

It would have been helpful to have a reference to a particular law
regarding fence spraying, (as this is what is being discussed here),
then I might be suitably informed of what I am being ignorant about.

Is
it just certain chemicals that should not be sprayed, or is it

illegal
to spray any preservatives on a fence, no matter how safe that
preservative may be?

THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT 1990 (EPA 1990)
Part I: Integrated Pollution Control (IPC) and Local Authority Air
Pollution Control (LAAPC)

Section PG6/33(97) - wood coating processes.

HTH.

Well no it doesn't help in this case, but thanks for looking it up.
This seems to concern the manufacture of wood products, not the
painting of a garden fence, so hardly relevant here.
In fact, the quotes below taken from the site, contradict the belief
that there may be a law on fence spraying, unless you have a very big
fence.

Coating Timber Products

You will need a permit if you coat wood and the process involves the use
of over 5 tonnes of organic solvent in any 12 month period.

Solvent Use

Coating of wooden surfaces is a listed activity in the EU Solvents
Emissions Directive (SED). The SED aims to reduce the amount of Volatile
Organic Compounds (VOCs) released to air by phasing out certain solvents
and reducing emissions of others. If you are carrying out coating of
wood and use more than 15 tonnes of solvent per annum, your
Environmental Regulator or local authority will take the requirements of
the SED into account when setting the conditions of your permit. You may
need to be taking action now, use the links below for more information
on SED./Quote

Old 19-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Walt Davidson writes:

| Without doubt, noxious vapours emitted as a result of spraying garden
| fences with preservatives would come under the heading of "fumes or
| gases from private dwellings". Even an unpleasant odour from the
| preservative agent used might be deemed to "interfere with a person's
| legitimate use of land, such as neighbours in their homes and
| gardens".

I await your first private prosecution on the matter - it would
be worth a trip to attend court on that day. Do you know the
expression "laughed out of court"?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sheen Flame Gun Spares Steve United Kingdom 10 30-06-2017 06:37 PM
Tape gun Rob Halgren Orchids 19 12-11-2004 04:35 PM
Paraffin flame gun? Nige United Kingdom 20 02-06-2004 07:10 AM
Carry purse wanted at gun show in Denver Melissa Gardening 28 13-11-2003 11:12 AM
Bat houses ( was Carry purse wanted at gun show in Denver Melissa Gardening 0 10-11-2003 03:32 AM