GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   That odd straight across pruning method recently mentioned (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82062-re-odd-straight-across-pruning-method-recently-mentioned.html)

Martin 19-08-2004 05:16 PM

That odd straight across pruning method recently mentioned

You will find an article on pruning on the Bexrose web site at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"dave weil" wrote in message
I'm curious about the details of that pruning method that some Brits
use for bushes. You know, the one where you just make a straight cut
across the middle top of the bush. Does anyone have any details about
it? Where do you choose your line? Do you do any other "lateral"
pruning. Etc. Etc.

My big Aloha is getting rangy and "tall growing" instead of its normal
bush form. I'd like to get it back to normal if possible. It's now
about 10 feet tall in the middle but looks sparse on the side. It used
to be really round. If this odd pruning method can help, I'm game. My
previous pruning methods haven't really helped the shape of the bush.

dave weil 20-08-2004 02:34 AM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:16:03 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

You will find an article on pruning on the Bexrose web site at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

As much as I appreciate the help, I know all of that stuff. Anyone
who's listened to me pratter on on this newgroup for the past couple
of years can attest to that.

Besides, I've probably to about 5 books that say the exact same thing.

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

.. .

Martin 20-08-2004 09:40 AM

That must be good advice then if you have five books in agreement with our
own article on pruning! Perhaps that say's something in itself?

On the question of pruning straight across, I recall the Royal National Rose
Society (foolishly) advocate this method on one occasion, but they have
since rescinded that advice. The method did not choose any particular line
to cut to for individual stems, it was more a case of "hedge cutting with a
hedge trimmer or lawn shears". This method might appear to work to start
with on vigorous bushes but die back will be extensive which will eventually
weaken and/or make the rose look unsightly.

Our society has many rose exhibitors in its ranks, many of national level,
we can also boast at least four national champions. Articles about the
cultivation of the Rose on the Bexrose web site are probably more meaningful
than the lay-rose grower would appreciate at first sight.

So for the best of the best look again at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose and don't forget to read it all,
and between the lines!

Enjoy

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster
PS they say you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink! - Have
you tried holding his head under?!

Email:
Web Site:

wrote:

You will find an article on pruning on the Bexrose web site at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

As much as I appreciate the help, I know all of that stuff. Anyone
who's listened to me pratter on on this newgroup for the past couple
of years can attest to that.

Besides, I've probably to about 5 books that say the exact same thing.

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

.. .

dave weil 20-08-2004 12:50 PM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:40:44 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

That must be good advice then if you have five books in agreement with our
own article on pruning! Perhaps that say's something in itself?

Yes, it says that, while it's OK to offer that *widely* available
information on *your* web site (only one of dozens of websites that
give the same information I might add), next time, please read the
post before you promote your site instead of relying on a simple
keyword to trigger some sort of quasiautoresponsebot sort of response.

It will do your cause well, instead of causing people to ignore
possible HELPFUL posts from you, as well as possibly avoiding the very
website that you are trying to promote.

Don' worry though, once you've been in the newsgroups awhile, you're
likely to catch on.

dave weil 20-08-2004 01:13 PM

wrote:

So for the best of the best look again at:-
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose and don't forget to read it all,
and between the lines!

It's not a bad site for a UK specific website. It's an immature site
that I'm sure will grow with time. But it's hardly "the best of the
best". It's barely adequate. It doesn't address very many rose issues
and is pretty much barebones.

For instance, *our* local website has FAR more valuable information
regarding roses.

http://www.nashvillerosesociety.com/

I don't care much for the look and feel of the NRS site, but it still
offers practical information about the challenges that our area offers
(issues that are FAR different than the issues that the UK growers
face).

So, drop the smugness and get on with building your site.

PS, we have quite a few National winning members as well, including a
well-known breeder or two *and* Ted Mills, who makes one of the most
famous rose formulations sold in the States. I haven't been a member
for a couple of years, but I still consult the website on occasion.

Your site frankly doesn't need your bluster.

Martin 20-08-2004 03:16 PM

Thank you once again for your kind words, your not a related to that grape
grower are you?

Just to make a few points double'y clear!!:-

* I need to respond when information about our web site is incorrect,
obvious really!
* Agreed the Bexrose web site is a young site having been started at the
beginning of this year (rather that immature, grapes again!).
* We are working on developing the site as can be clearly seen from my
postings here that are frequently reporting new stuff being added to the
site.
* If you care to read the articles on our web site you will find that they
not only provide good information (as given by some others of course, but
should we leave this out? of course not!) but also information and advice
not given elsewhere to my knowledge. We are definitely not into plagiarism
we have no need with our experience!
* Lumping your two last points:- I am not worried in the first instance I
think that I have caught on sufficiently to know that even Anti-Postings
make good advertisements. This is proven to me by the hit count and by
direct emails for the newsgroup readers.
* I have not seen your own site yet but I am looking forward to taking a
browse. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks once again for your own bluster, it all helps!

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:

Franz Heymann 20-08-2004 09:32 PM

wrote:

That must be good advice then if you have five books in agreement

with our
own article on pruning! Perhaps that say's something in itself?

Yes, it says that, while it's OK to offer that *widely* available
information on *your* web site (only one of dozens of websites that
give the same information I might add), next time, please read the
post before you promote your site instead of relying on a simple
keyword to trigger some sort of quasiautoresponsebot sort of

response.

It will do your cause well, instead of causing people to ignore
possible HELPFUL posts from you, as well as possibly avoiding the

very
website that you are trying to promote.

Since you chose to raise the topic, I will mention that your own posts
to urg have done your own cause, whatever that might be, a great deal
of harm, so why don't you just bugger off?

The Bexhill Rose Society is doing everybody interested in roses a
great service maintaining their excellent website.

Don' worry though, once you've been in the newsgroups awhile, you're
likely to catch on.

Put that in front of a mirror.

Franz

Franz Heymann 20-08-2004 10:56 PM

wrote:

[...]

And to be even more frank, uk.rec.gardens needs your bluster even
less.

Franz

dave weil 21-08-2004 06:57 AM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:16:39 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
wrote:

[...]

Well, that cinches it. You're officially an asshole...with a
website...go figure...

Goodbye.

dave weil 21-08-2004 07:04 AM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:32:30 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

My cause, as you put it, was not to be lectured by someone when I'm
trying to get information that was recently posted on this newsgroup.
there's nothing new about pruning on the Bexrose site and I was
specifically requesting information about a specific (even if Mr.
Double thinks it's wrong) pruning method that sounded controversial
enough to be interesting.

The Bexhill Rose Society is doing everybody interested in roses a
great service maintaining their excellent website.

Well, you and I differ on the quality. It's not a bad site, but it's
not "the best of the best", in my humble opinion. Not even close. I
can guarantee you that I won't be monitoring it, giving Mr. Double any
more "hits", as it matures.

Don' worry though, once you've been in the newsgroups awhile, you're
likely to catch on.

Put that in front of a mirror.

You first. Lecture all you want.

Franz Heymann 21-08-2004 07:05 AM

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.7202601e91c8468d4eac99439faceacd @1093036389.nulluser.com...

wrote:

[...]

Hey Martin aka "Franz." You looked like an idiot when you
were just popping up at every moment promoting your
half-assed web site. Now that you are talking to yourself
via a sock puppet you look even worse. We can read HEADERS,
moron.

In that case, take the trouble to read them correctly.

Franz

dave weil 21-08-2004 07:11 AM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:56:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Well, tell your "Double" to stop crossposting then. My original post
was rec.gardens.roses ONLY.

Wenn ich unhöflich war, würde ich "Halt's Maul" sagen.

dave weil 21-08-2004 07:32 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 06:05:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

In that case, take the trouble to read them correctly.

Franz

Martin:

bigbe1.bellsouth.net!bigfeed2.bellsouth.net!news.b ellsouth.net!elnk-atl-nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!newshosting.com!nx02.ia d01.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjse rv.net!feed.news.tiscali.de!news.belwue.de!news.un i-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!btnet!news.btopenworld.com!not-for-mail

Franz:

bigbe1.bellsouth.net!bigfeed2.bellsouth.net!news.b ellsouth.net!cyclone1.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!peer 01.cox.net!cox.net!newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.news hosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!f eed.news.tiscali.de!news.belwue.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!btnet!news.btopenworld.com!not-for-mail

Whoops...close enough for me...

BUSTED.

You know, guys like you give the communities a bad name. and you've
just given your client's website a black eye.

dave weil 21-08-2004 07:37 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:11:30 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Wenn ich unhöflich war, würde ich "Halt's Maul" sagen.

The war should probably be waere, but I'm a little rusty on my German
subjunctive.

Franz Heymann 21-08-2004 03:16 PM

wrote:

[...]

Nope. You still have it wrong.

Franz

Franz Heymann 21-08-2004 03:16 PM

"dave weil" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:56:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I am afraid I don't know enough German to translate that. You seem to
have something else wrong.

Franz

Franz Heymann 21-08-2004 03:16 PM

wrote:

Wenn ich unhöflich war, würde ich "Halt's Maul" sagen.

The war should probably be waere, but I'm a little rusty on my

German
subjunctive.

That would make two of us. I am rusty on the rest of the sentence as
well, so you have wasted your time being too clever.

Franz

Gunnar Savage 21-08-2004 04:18 PM

Wenn ich unhöflich war, würde ich "Halt's Maul" sagen.

I am afraid I don't know enough German to translate that. You seem to
have something else wrong.

Franz

I am NOT taking sides one way or the other here. I'm just here as a
translator. It means, "If I were impolite, I would say "Halt's muzzle".

dave weil 21-08-2004 11:37 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:18:41 GMT, "Gunnar Savage"
wrote:

Wenn ich unhöflich war, würde ich "Halt's Maul" sagen.

I am afraid I don't know enough German to translate that. You seem to
have something else wrong.

Franz

I am NOT taking sides one way or the other here. I'm just here as a
translator. It means, "If I were impolite, I would say "Halt's muzzle".

Well, more accurately, it would be "Shut up" (it's the vernacular, you
know - believe, I heard it more than once myself).

Mr. Double should have picked a less German-sounding name for his
dirtywork.

newsb 25-08-2004 04:36 PM

In article , dave weil
writes
wrote:

In that case, take the trouble to read them correctly.

Franz

Martin:

bigbe1.bellsouth.net!bigfeed2.bellsouth.net!news. bellsouth.net!elnk-atl-
nf1!newsfeed.earthlink.net!newshosting.com!nx02.i ad01.newshosting.com!ne
wsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!feed.news.tisc ali.de!news.belwue.de!n
ews.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!btnet!news.btopenworl
d.com!not-for-mail

Franz:

bigbe1.bellsouth.net!bigfeed2.bellsouth.net!news. bellsouth.net!cyclone1.
gnilink.net!gnilink.net!peer01.cox.net!cox.net!ne wshosting.com!nx02.iad0
1.newshosting.com!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjser v.net!feed.news.tiscali
.de!news.belwue.de!news.uni-stuttgart.de!carbon.eu.sun.com!btnet-feed5!b
tnet!news.btopenworld.com!not-for-mail

Whoops...close enough for me...

Then you prove you don't understand headers. Both use the same isp, so
its not surpriding that posts take the same route. All those headers
are is the route news takes.

If you look at the other headers, you'll see that the versions of
Outlook used are different (not conclusive in itself, but in conjunction
with the totally different posting styles and contents, its pretty
obvious to me that they are not the same.)

BUSTED.

Now wait for the wrongful arrest charges.

--
regards andyw

dave weil 26-08-2004 05:33 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:36:17 +0100, newsb
wrote:

If you look at the other headers, you'll see that the versions of
Outlook used are different (not conclusive in itself, but in conjunction
with the totally different posting styles and contents, its pretty
obvious to me that they are not the same.)

Certainly not conclusive in itself. Heck, I've got two different
versions of Outlook Express on two different computers in this very
room (I never bohered upgrading the one on the seldom used computer in
the network, mainly because I don't even bother using Outlook in the
first place). But if I *did* use Outlook, depending on which computer
I used, that would determine the version of Outlook on my headers. If
I had a work computer, which I don't, I'd bet that it would be
different as well. And a possible laptop? Sure, might be a fourth one.

As to the "totally different posting styles and contents", that's what
sockpuppeting is all about, innit?

That's some crazy people that they have using that ISP which suddenly
starts popping up on rec. garden.roses. It *must* be a coincidence,
since that ISP is as huge as demon...

Franz Heymann 26-08-2004 07:14 AM

"dave weil" wrote in message

[snip]

That's some crazy people that they have using that ISP which

suddenly
starts popping up on rec. garden.roses. It *must* be a coincidence,
since that ISP is as huge as demon...

You are once again showing what a failure you are as far as deductive
powers are concerned. The ISP I use is run by British Telephone,
which is the major telephone company in the UK, so it is not a notable
coincidence if two urglers use it.

If you had had any powers of observation, you would also by now have
noticed that I make no secret of the fact that I live at the top of
Wensleydale and the Martin who supports the Bexhill Rose Society posts
from Bexhill (there are at least 3 Martins who participate in urg).
If you knew how to use a ruler, and you could lay your hands on a map
of the UK in that benighted part of the world you live in, you might
be able to establish for yourself that the distance between those
places is more than 300 miles.

Franz