Old 19-08-2004, 09:22 PM
tenchman

Default Peat ash

Hi group,

Living here in Ireland my household firing is done with hand cut peat,
which, as many of you will know produces large amount of very light ash.
Usually about a large bucket a day.

The question is this;
Is there any benefit or detriment in spreading this ash on the vegetable
patch. Am I going to damage my soil or will it improve the plot.

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David

Old 19-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
tenchman wrote:

Living here in Ireland my household firing is done with hand cut peat,
which, as many of you will know produces large amount of very light ash.
Usually about a large bucket a day.

The question is this;
Is there any benefit or detriment in spreading this ash on the vegetable
patch. Am I going to damage my soil or will it improve the plot.

Probably improve it slightly, by restoring some minerals. The
operative word is "slightly", as I doubt that it contains much.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.