Old 19-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Helen

Default plants for a cold rocky garden

We have friends moving to an island off the south coast of Tasmania, which
is cold and rocky. I wonder if a kind person who lives in Scotland or the
Shetland isles could give me some hints on what plants would grow in a cold
climate?

Old 20-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Kay

In article , Helen
writes
We have friends moving to an island off the south coast of Tasmania, which
is cold and rocky. I wonder if a kind person who lives in Scotland or the
Shetland isles could give me some hints on what plants would grow in a cold
climate?

I think we may have different interpretations of the word 'cold' ;-)

From the BBC weather pages:

"Tasmania's climate is strongly influenced by the relative warmth of the
southern ocean so that winters are mild at sea level and summers rarely
excessively hot. Its climate and weather throughout the year are rather
similar to that of northwest Europe, particularly Brittany or northwest
Spain."

--
Kay

Old 20-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Franz Heymann

"Helen" wrote in message
We have friends moving to an island off the south coast of Tasmania,

which
is cold and rocky. I wonder if a kind person who lives in Scotland

or the
Shetland isles could give me some hints on what plants would grow in

a cold
climate?

Did you know that at Inverewe there are plants growing in the open
which I would regard as half-hardy?

Franz

Old 21-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Helen

Although the Northern part of Tasmania is rather as the BBC weather pages
stated, there is quite a difference between the North and South, and even
more so between the mainland of Tasmania and the little islands off the
south coast. There is nothing between them and Antarctica, and the winds can
be freezing!!! ( That's why I like Sydney ): )
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Helen
writes
We have friends moving to an island off the south coast of Tasmania,

which
is cold and rocky. I wonder if a kind person who lives in Scotland or

the
Shetland isles could give me some hints on what plants would grow in a

cold
climate?

I think we may have different interpretations of the word 'cold' ;-)

From the BBC weather pages:

Old 21-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Kay

In article , Helen
writes
Although the Northern part of Tasmania is rather as the BBC weather pages
stated, there is quite a difference between the North and South, and even
more so between the mainland of Tasmania and the little islands off the
south coast. There is nothing between them and Antarctica, and the winds can
be freezing!!! ( That's why I like Sydney ): )

OK, fair enough. But Scotland is considerably more north than Tasmania
is south, and which means much shorter days in winter with all that
means in terms of long cold wet spells. If you could post more details
of what the climate is actually like in the bit of Tasmania you have in
mind, someone here might be able to decide whether their climate is like
the Tasmanian one.

btw, the convention in this ng is to bottom post, and if you top post,
it messes up the sequence of messages.

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Helen
writes
We have friends moving to an island off the south coast of Tasmania,

which
is cold and rocky. I wonder if a kind person who lives in Scotland or

the
Shetland isles could give me some hints on what plants would grow in a

cold
climate?

I think we may have different interpretations of the word 'cold' ;-)

From the BBC weather pages:

Old 21-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Helen

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Helen
writes
[...]

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Helen
writes
We have friends moving to an island off the south coast of Tasmania,

which
is cold and rocky. I wonder if a kind person who lives in Scotland or

the
Shetland isles could give me some hints on what plants would grow in a

cold
climate?

I think we may have different interpretations of the word 'cold' ;-)

From the BBC weather pages:

"Tasmania's climate is strongly influenced by the relative warmth of

the
southern ocean so that winters are mild at sea level and summers rarely
excessively hot. Its climate and weather throughout the year are rather
similar to that of northwest Europe, particularly Brittany or northwest
Spain."

--
Kay

Kay

The last I heard from there was the maximum temperature was about

8deg.cel. and the minimum -1 or -2. This is of course late winter. The soil
is very shallow and rocky.

Old 21-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Kay

In article , Helen
writes

The last I heard from there was the maximum temperature was about

8deg.cel. and the minimum -1 or -2. This is of course late winter. The soil
is very shallow and rocky.

Most of the UK is colder than that in winter! (Where I am, about half
way up the country if that, we frequently go below -5 at night, and have
periods where it doesn't come up much above 0 for several days - ponds
can remain frozen for days on end). So from the point of hardiness you
don't have a problem - if it's marked as hardy for the UK, it should be
OK in Tasmania. Where you have a problem is the shallow soil - so things
which ask for a deep moist soil might be a problem.

I think Tasmania also has higher rainfall, doesn't it?

I'm presuming that your max temperature also refers to winter - what are
summer temperatures like?

--
Kay

Old 23-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Helen

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Helen
writes

[...]

Thank you for your advice re hardy plants. I have relations in Crewe,

which may have the same temperatures as yours., and have a lovely garden-
btw they have had a horrible summer this year - nothing except raspberries
grew! In Tasmania's mainland it can become very hot in summer, and they have
dreadful bushfires in some years. In those little islands off the south
coast, the temperatures reamin fairly cool, even in the summer, with only
an occasional 'heatwave' with the temperature hitting the early 20s.